It’s clear by their answers to the 14 pressing questions in our latest Get To Know feature that LA-based duo Soto Voce have big personalities.
Their brand new single dropped recently; its official music video just days ago, so why not join us in getting to know them this Monday morning!
1. Band name : Soto Voce.
2. Where are you based? I grew up in Oakland, CA, Miguel is from Columbia. We both now live in Los Angeles.
3. How did you choose your band name? Our band name was a mixture and a play on my name Kenny Soto and the italian term Sotto voce – which means speaking softly. We have heard it’s slang for keeping it on the down low. It was a joke at first.
4. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Dark. Moody. Sensual. Human. Indie.
5. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? It’s our ability to summon spirits and entities from this realm and beyond. Some out our biggest fans are the biggest A list celebrities from the afterlife, Greek and Egyptian Gods, Malcolm X, Buddha, Gandhi… Jesus even came through one time. A few nights ago we did a super secret show opening up for Bjork on a Venetian space craft in the pleasure room! Let me tell you… you have never seen an orgy like a Venetian orgy… it’s out of this world. Pure insanity.
6. Who are your members? Kenny Soto & Miguel De Vivo.
7. How was the band formed? It was formed in a humble Los Angeles home studio after a chance meeting between the two unlikely dark light children. Both from drastically different worlds and varied musical backgrounds, they combined their hidden music powers to create the ultimate musical fighting force known as Soto Voce!
8. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Well when the group was formed, we were under the impression, Miguel and I, that we were just ordinary people. But now it seems after careful observation that we may have a slight chance at success, so we are starting to look towards future investment opportunities.
9. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Dark ’90s industrial, hard core electronic dance mixed with ’80s new-wave pop.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Depeche Mode ‘Enjoy The Silence’, The Cure ‘All Cats Are Grey, Talking Heads ‘This Must Be The Place’, Tupac ‘All Eyes On Me’, Nine Inch Nails ‘Head Like A Hole’, New Order ‘Blue Monday’, Junior Mafia ‘Get Money’, Michael Jackson ‘Off The Wall’ album, early ’80s Prince, Madonna ‘Everybody’, Eurythmics ‘Never Gonna Cry Again’ etc etc ’til the end of time.
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? Hands down our strangest experience as a band was in 1984 when Miguel and I where at Quincy Jones’ house and we accidentally walked in on Mike and Prince getting it in!!! I mean hot and sweaty!!! It’s an image we will never be able to erase from our heads!! Just absolutely amazing!
12. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Better’ is the first single of our currently untitled EP. It is a heartfelt song about moving on to a positive place in the midst of internal and external turbulence; a message which I think most people can relate to in these times.
13. What do your future plans involve?
NEW music!! NEW shows!! NEW visuals!! A new video coming in the coming weeks…
14. Where can our audience catch you live? As of today we have no current scheduled dates. However Miguel and I are just wrapped up recording of the EP this last week and we are about to begin rehearsing for the live show extravaganza!!! Don’t you worry your pretty little heads… we have a lot planned for everyone in the coming months.