Get to know Glades on your Monday morning commute into work. They’re a three piece from Sydney who’ve recently releases their gorgeous latest single ‘Speechless’ and are in the process of putting together an EP.
What makes them tick? What are their favourite songs? What’s their biggest claim to fame? Find out in our latest feature this Monday morning.
1. Band name : GLADES.
2. Where are you based? Sydney, Australia.
3. How did you choose your band name? Cam was at the snow for a holiday and one of the ski runs was called “The Glades”.
4. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Sarcastic, intriguing, emotive, honest, DIY.
5. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? Probably getting a shoutout from Troye Sivan for covering his song ‘Fools’!
6. Who are your members? Karina – Vocals, Cam – Guitar, Joey – Synths.
7. How was the band formed? After a while of producing for other people, Cam & Joey wanted to make music that was their own, so they asked Karina if she wanted to sing, and here we are!
8. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? When we first started, writing songs was a lot of guesswork. Now we have a bit more of an idea with what we’re doing – techniques and patterns and all. We’re definitely still learning though. You never stop learning how to write a song. Also at first, we started with the goal to make it our careers, which seemed to be an impossible task, but we’re in a position now where the band is our full time ‘jobs’.
9. Tell us a little bit about your sound. It’s kinda alternative pop, kinda electro pop, with lots of natural elements and lots of reverb. It’s very guitar and beat driven.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Karina : It’s so hard to choose, but I love ‘Robbers’ by the 1975! Cam : ‘Bridges’ by Broods. Joey : ‘Gravity’ by John Mayer.
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? We were at The 1975’s latest show when they were in town, and someone came up to us with one of our Instagram photos and said “is this you?” It was kinda strange but kinda awesome at the same time.
12. Tell us about your latest release. It’s called ‘Speechless’ and it’s about the moment you realise when you’re so enamoured with someone that you’d do anything for them – the feeling they give you is indescribable; it leaves you speechless. It’s got a darker feel to it than our previous songs, but it’ll still make you want to move.
13. What do your future plans involve? We’re planning on releasing an EP soon. Hopefully line up a tour around that as well!
14. Where can our audience catch you live? We haven’t got anything scheduled in as of yet, however definitely keep an eye on our social media because we’ll announce any shows that come up there!