Join us as we Get To Know Two Can, a sibling duo out of Melbourne who had us hook, line and sinker late last month with their new single ‘Holding On To You’.
We described it as “soulful, danceable, bright, breezy and utterly likeable dance/pop” and even dropped in a Bobby Brown reference.
There might not be another in this morning’s feature (we’re taking every little step to ensure they stop popping up), but relax, because Two Can are here with their answers to our probing questions.
01. Band name : Two Can.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne, Australia.
03. How did you choose your name? The project started with Myles uploading a few remixes but under the name ‘Toucan’. He got an email about a month into the project saying there is a band that has the same name and they would appreciate if you changed it. I gave it some thought and later that day Oscar was like ‘dude, we should start a project’ and I was like well why don’t we continue this one and name it ‘Two Can’ as its similar to the old name and it is like an upgrade! There.
04. Give us five words to best describe you? Coffee. Snapchat. Hommus. Sleeping. Producing.
05. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? Three Hype Machine #1s and an interview with the Australian Sydney Morning Herald newspaper (we took out the #1 spot on Australia’s up and coming list)!
06. Who are your members? Myles – 20, Oscar – 22.
07. How was the band formed? We are brothers and live together! Both share a love for everything and anything musical, and both had a background in production. So we decided to put our heads down and work on some music!
08. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? I think our sound has changed quite a lot. We really did experiment with our music. We started off with kind of synth love trap influenced music. Now we are doing quite intricate house music, but we definitely don’t want to be categorized as anything just yet because we are still working hard on mastering our craft, so who knows how it may change.
09. Tell us a little bit about your sound. These are five phrases we put together to describe it; Live instruments, less is more, ableton, jamming sessions after a strong latte or two, feel good music.
10. Favourite songs of all time? Myles : ‘Stairway to Heaven’ – Led Zeppelin, Oscar : ‘September’ – Earth Wind and Fire.
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? We carry around a Roland SPDS in our day bags when touring (Google what it looks like). Having that thing in your bag when going through airport security is always a nuisance because nine times out of ten, the security doesn’t understand what an ‘SPD-SX Roland Sampling Percussion Pad Live Sampler MIDI Controller’ is… Weird, I know.
12. Tell us about your latest release. With ‘Holding On To You’, we really wanted to express our musical abilities as live instrumentalists. The guitar samples and a lot of the drum samples were recorded at home through our sound card. We wanted to write a song with elements of our instrumental skills as well as incorporate our production skills. The vocals from Savoi were a great fit – we literally got his take back and halfway through listening, knew it was meant to be!
13. What do your future plans involve? In the near future all I can say is lots more music and a tour or two.