Get to know Breakaway, a pop/rock four piece from Sydney who had us from the get-go with their latest single ‘Restart’.
Currently in the middle of their ‘Restart’ tour, the band stops by to answer our 14 probing questions.
01. Band name : Breakaway.
02. Where are you based? We’re from the Western Suburbs of Sydney.
03. How did you choose your band name? ‘Breakaway’ was a word that really stuck out to us in the chorus of our first ever single ‘Here I Am’.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Idiots playing songs we love.
05. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? We have been lucky enough to tour with a few of our childhood heroes, including Taking Back Sunday, The Used and Anberlin.
06. Who are your members? Sam Biland – vocals, Mitch Borton – bass & vocals, Rich Mammoliti – guitar & keys, Miki Bonic – guitar, Matt McNeil – drums.
07. How was the band formed? Most of us were friends from school, but we met our singer Sam through an advert on Gumtree haha.
08. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? When we first started we didn’t really have a clear direction, all we knew is that we wanted to be a rock band. Now we know exactly who we are and what direction we want to head in musically and lyrically.
09. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Synth driven rock music – think a mixture of 30 Seconds To Mars, Halsey and You Me At Six.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Miki : ‘Go Your Own Way’ – Fleetwood Mac, Mitch : ‘Human Sadness’ – Julian Casablancas and The Voidz, Sam : ‘Hurt’ – Jonny Cash’s version, Rich : ‘Pokemon Theme Song’ – Jason Paige, Matt : ‘Times Like These’ – Foo Fighters.
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? We were on tour in Melbourne and accidentally drove an hour in the opposite direction, and witnessed a train crash into a car… It was like being in a movie. Also, Byron Bay is home to aliens.
12. Tell us about your latest release. Our latest release is the new single ‘Restart’, which is a song about letting go of the past and finding happiness again. A lot can happen when you learn to let go and allow yourself to be happy.
13. What do your future plans involve? Touring, touring, releasing our debut album and did we mention touring?
14. Where can our audience catch you live?
October 14 – Wrangler Studios, Melbourne (AA)
October 15 – Workers Club, Melbourne (18+)
October 16 – Enigma Bar, Adelaide (Lic/AA)