‘Get To Know My what?’, we hear you asking… We recently featured a Swedish artist named ‘My’ here on the site and we were so intrigued by her latest single ‘White Water’, that we decided to Get To Know her and her band a little more.
01. Name : MY (My Helmner together with bandmembers/writers/producers Johannes Andersson, Simon Westerdahl).
02. Where are you based? Stockholm/London.
03. How did you get your start in music? Music has always been there for me growing up, instruments where available. It was always a tool and an expression that felt very natural and unforced to me. Started out with violin and also tought myself on how to play guitar and piano in my own way. Wrote songs from a very early age and liked to write stories (and even my own movie-scripts ^^) and then went on to a music oriented high school. Got my first real band experience in the pop/rock-band Indevotion when I was 17. After eight years growing as an artist and writer in that project (and moving from countryside to the big city of Stockholm) I ended up starting this new project together with my two best friends, that was the beginning of MY.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Emotional, Energetic, Determent, Creative and Fun ^^.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. As a teenager I was all about alternative rock/emo music such as Jimmy Eat World, The Used, Angels & Airwaves etc, but I never let go of my big love for great Swedish pop a la Max Martin (and even ABBA). That is also what brought me, Johannes and Simon together where I think Johannes’ great ear for big arena tracks mixed with Simon’s rock-guitars and my catchy pop-melodies is the perfect combination for what we want to do. Our music should be big and edgy but also fun and catchy – the perfect combination between rock and pop.
06. Who have been your musical influences? For this project I would mainly say Jimmy Eat World, Katy Perry, Blink 182, 5SOS and Robyn.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? Very very hard! Foo Fighters ‘Best Of You’, Robyn ‘Hang With Me’, Taking Back Sunday ‘Make Damn Sure’.
08. What was the first album you bought? I remember buying Celine Dion’s single ‘That’s The Way It Is’ haha…. I think the first full album I bought with my own money was My Chemical Romance’s ‘I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love’… talk about contrast there!
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I love playing badminton. And I had a ‘I Hate Horses’ club in fifth grade with my best friend (big animal friend today though…).
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I would finish my education in sociology and work with people somehow. Some type of social work, or combine the two by helping people with music as a tool, music therapy.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Be yourself and always be prepared.
12. Tell us about your latest release. The latest release is our new song ‘White Water’, a bombastic and a bit darker track about the struggle of letting yourself lose control. I’m a bit of a control freak and sometimes I think it’s important to dare let go, it can take you places you never would have thought of.
13. What do your future plans involve? We just finished an ‘introducing’ tour with McFly in the UK, and now we’re preparing for our own headline show in Camden in November. Future plan involves more exciting releases and shows and we’re working towards an album release sometime next year. It’s very exciting times :)
14. Where can our audience catch you live? Next up is London Nov 07, it’s unfortunately sold out though so we’re hoping to get back to you with new dates soon!