We love giving over some column inches to up and coming local acts here at auspOp, and so it is again this morning as we Get To Know The Tapes.
The Sydney-based duo, who’ll be releasing their debut EP in a month’s time, have honed their respective crafts on the underground music scene and are now ready to take over the world with their debut single ‘At All’.
So without further ado… It’s time to Get To Know The Tapes.
1. Band name : The Tapes.
2. Where are you based? We make our sounds in the sunny streets of South Sydney.
3. How did you choose your band name? The name kind of fell into our laps. We were listening to an LCD Soundsystem album and a track called ‘Watch The Tapes’ came on. I guess we just decided that song was about us and ran with it.
4. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Weird, weird. Heaps fucking weird.
5. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? We’ve got a lot of nice statistics on our music online, but without a doubt being on an ad for an official sponsor of the Rio Olympics. We finally made our mothers proud.
6. Who are your members? The principle members of the band are myself (Mickey) and Andrew Grant. We have our compadre Craig Willson playing guitar and doing some backing vocals as well as Julian Sudek hitting some stretched synthetic skins with wooden sticks for our upcoming performances.
7. How was the band formed? Andy and myself both started cutting our teeth in electronic production, we’ve each got our own solo projects as well as doing a lot of writing and engineering for some local big dogs. We got a studio together in Redfern and moved all our gear in and started jamming a bit during our down time. Before we knew it, we’d already written a bunch of amazing songs. We decided to go full force a couple of months ago and things have just been working out super well.
8. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? The ethos of how we write and what we write about has been the biggest change for us. Things are becoming a lot more refined and we try to get things right from the very beginning. A lot of tricks can happen in post production, but we try to make the magic happen before we even start recording the music.
9. Tell us a little bit about your sound. We try to do something different every time we make a song. Having a set boundary of “this is the type of music we’re making” or “these are the instruments in our arsenal” can never be anything but counter-productive. We’re constantly evolving and growing our sound.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Collectively, the recurring theme in our favourite music at the moment is that it’s produced by Dave Friddman. Let’s go with ‘Flash Delirium’ by MGMT.
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? We’re still a very young band, so our strange experiences are few and far between at this point. We’re working very hard to amend this problem as soon as possible.
12. Tell us about your latest release. Our latest (and only) release at this point is ‘At All’, a single off our EP which is out November 11th. We’ve just released a clip for it as well, made with our good friends James van den Elshout and David Porte Beckefeld. It’s a kind of trippy tribute to all the crazy Rage clips we watched growing up that don’t make a whole lot of sense, but were amazing. We’re going to be putting out another track in the lead up to the EP’s release real soon.
13. What do your future plans involve? We are constantly writing new music. Our next big step as a band is to finish an album and play some amazing shows over the next year. We’re working hard and set on doing some big things.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? We are going to be playing the main stage of EMC Play on November 30. We’re trying to make the whole thing as much of a trip as possible, as well as you know, playing some sick music. Catch you there!
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/listentothetapes
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/listentothetapes
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/listentothetapes
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/tweetthetapes