We kick off your working week (and our post-ARIAs week) by inviting you to Get To Know Youthfire; the former Brisbane native now calling Melbourne home and who’s just dropped his rather excellent new single ‘Hallucinate’.
01. Name : Youthfire.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne.
03. How did you get your start in music? I started writing songs when I was in grade nine, when I was 14. I would record little melodies and ideas on my computer. It was around this time that recording audio interface technology started to become available. So I got a part time job and saved up for a crappy condenser microphone and a little Yamaha audio interface and began recording everything!
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Philosophical, Emotional, Expressive, Dynamic, Spiritual.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I’ve been performing electronic music live for the past eight to nine years. My sound has very much been a trial and error process. I’ve also had the privilege of working with some great friends and musicians over the years, and I learn a little bit more about making music through observing and interacting with their creative process. I would describe my sound as atmospheric, textured and nostalgic of New Wave ’80s.
06. Who have been your musical influences? I’m inspired by everything to do with 1980s pop music; Cyndi Lauper, Michael Jackson, Tears For Fears, Eurogliders, Bronski Beat, David Sylvian, Sade, David Bowie. I also have an appreciation for artists like James Blake, Bon Iver, The Internet, Badbadnotgood, Björk, D’Angelo, Brian Eno and Ryuichi Sakamoto.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? Gosh, I change my answers every time I get asked this! At the moment:
Sylvian & Sakamoto – ‘Forbidden Colour’
The version, which starts with a piano. It’s the most beautiful song I’ve ever heard. Really touches me, I cry every time I hear it. I love the arrangement, the emotion, the lyrics, the instrumentation and the production.
James Blake – ‘The Wilhelm Scream’
It reminds me of being a late teenager. I would blast this sound on repeat. It was a beautiful introduction to James Blake.
Michael Jackson – ‘Billie Jean’
I was obsessed with this song as a kid. It reminds me of my childhood! I’d dance around the house imitating Michael’s dance moves.
08. What was the first album you bought? The first vinyl I ever bough was ‘Waking Up With The House On Fire’ by Culture Club. I loved this so much, plus the artwork is really cool.
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I have a degree in Architecture! What a crazy experience that was! I also love art and painting.
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Probably a painter/artist. I don’t think I could not do something within the arts.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Just keep writing! And don’t compare yourself to others. This is something I work with on a daily basis.
12. Tell us about your latest release. My new song is called ‘Hallucinate’. Initially, I wrote it after watching the 1998 film ‘Edge Of Seventeen’, which tells the story of a young boy who comes to terms with being gay. I wanted to pay homage to this film, in my song, and to reach out to anyone who has ever felt like they have had to fight to be themselves.
13. What do your future plans involve? I believe that slow and steady wins the race. I want to take things slowly to keep working on creating new sounds.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? My next show will be on the December 08 at Boney in Melbourne supporting Mo Louie.
WEBSITE : http://www.youthfiremusic.com
FACEBOOK : http://www.facebook.com/youthfiremusic
TWITTER : http://www.twitter.com/youthfiremusic
INSTAGRAM : http://www.instagram.com/youthfiremusic
SOUNDCLOUD : http://www.soundcloud.com/youthfiremusic