We get to know Valerie on the site this morning; she’s a fab new soul/pop songstress out of Melbourne who’s dropping things right left and centre… a new single, a headline show and, come February, a baby!
Said single is called ‘I Wanna Know’ and she’s ready to play a live show in support of it tonight. All the details below.
01. Name : VALERIE.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne, Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? I started in my parents’ band at the age of 13 years old. I performed with them around Mauritius, Europe, Russia and South Africa.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Edgy, Fun, Exotic, High-energy, pregnant! Hahaha!
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I grew up listening to big voices like Whitney Houston, Bob Marley, Alicia Keys and Celine Dion. As my taste for music expands, I came to develop my own sound, which is a mix of chill tropical R&B.
06. Who have been your musical influences? Alicia Keys because she sings her soul out while playing the piano, Whitney Houston… because she is Whitney! Bob Marley for his meaningful lyrics, Tina Turner & Beyoncé for their high energy on stage, Jessie J for her AMAAAAZING vocals.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? That’s a hard one! I love ‘Moon River’ by Frank Sinatra (that’s the lullaby that my dad use to sing to me), ‘Crazy In Love’ by Beyoncé and ‘Titanium’ from David Guetta ftg Sia.
08. What was the first album you bought? I think it was a ‘BEST OF the year 2000’ mix tape.
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I broke my front tooth once because I thought I could fly.
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I am and I would have been a makeup artist. I have an expensive passion for make-up and I love painting peoples’ faces to make them look and feel fantastic.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? My mum always told me “There’s a time to play, there’s a time to work. Only foolish play and never work.”
12. Tell us about your latest release. My latest single is called ‘I Wanna Know’. It was written and produced by my good friends at Damasta Recordings. It has a chilled exotic vibe with a good beat.
13. What do your future plans involve? My future plan includes delivering a cute healthy baby in February as well as dropping some new music at the start of next year.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? I’m doing my last gig before the baby, this Friday December 09 at The Rum Diary Bar (334 Brunswick St, Fitzroy in Melbourne) from 7:30pm.