In our first such feature for 2017, we Get To Know The Supanova Project, a great new act from WA.
They’ve just released a fresh new single called ‘Take It Over’, which is lifted from their upcoming debut EP.
Naturally, that information piqued our interest, so we decided we needed to get to know them a little more. Enjoy.
01. Band name : The Supanova Project.
02. Where are you based? Perth.
03. How did you choose your band name? We wanted something to signify energy. Supernova is a stellar explosion that radiates energy. We just changed the spelling from Supernova to Supanova.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Inspirational, Melodic, Pop, Chillout, Electronica.
05. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? Without doubt, finally releasing the EP as it has been three years in the making. The beauty about being independent is that you can write and produce when you want. There was no rush in the process and we wrote the tracks when we felt inspired and nothing felt forced. We really took a lot pride in how we presented things.
06 Who are your members? Branimir Mikulic, Janelle Mikulic.
07. How was the band formed? We used to play the clubs and bars in Perth as an electro synth/pop ’80s/’90s cover band called Supanova prior to 2013. We always had a passion to work on originals and wanted to explore a different sound and style of music together. So the two of us created ‘The Supanova Project’ as an original side project.
08. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? We have a lot more self belief and we really explored our lyric writing and found our sound. We decided to make whatever music we felt like making and let the music come in a very natural way, which was invigorating.
09. Tell us a little bit about your sound. I would say our sound fuses pop with a little electronic chillout.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Our favourite songs of all time would probably be the songs you never get sick of hearing when it comes on the radio. We love Toto – ‘Africa’, Icehouse – ‘Electric Blue’, John Farnham – ‘That’s Freedom’… anything from that era.
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? Our strangest experience as a band was probably performing at a club with a member of the audience walking up on stage playing a tambourine next to our lead singer Janelle. The funny thing was that the tambourine was not ours, so he must have just walked in the club with a tambourine. Like you do.
12. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Take It Over’ is the lead single from our debut EP ‘Paradise’. The song is about hope, finding the energy and stamina to overcome adversity and conquer life’s storms. We shot a music video for this in Broome, and infused ourselves in Australia’s beautiful landscapes. We were really proud of how the song’s sense of warmth and honesty was evoked through the music video.
13. What do your future plans involve? After ‘Take It Over’ we drop our second single ‘Warrior’ to coincide with the release of our EP ‘Paradise’ on January 27. We will then love the opportunity to play the material live.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? We will keep you posted.