We get to know Kittling, the young man behind this shock of hair who a) has a secret to share and b) has just dropped his debut single ‘Joy’.
‘Joy’ is an impressive debut; indication that this is a young artist who loves his pop music. And, in his answers below, you’ll discover a few of pop’s brightest names.
We think you’re going to like. So without further ado… join us as we Get To Know Kittling.
01. Name : Kittling.
02. Where are you based? Perth, Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? I grew up watching ‘Rage’ on TV every morning and wishing I could be part of those ridiculous and often dodgy ’90s music videos. My mum forced my siblings and I to learn instruments, so I took piano lessons, and eventually just found my way into writing songs and singing.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. ’80s-inspired synth ‘n’ sparkle.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. My sound has been a journey, that’s for sure. The way my sound has grown has correlated with my musical education… when I was first starting out, I wrote simple, emotive folk songs that were easy to play and sing (mostly on ukulele) – and now I love writing tricky, soulful melodies and more inventive chord progressions.
I also started learning how to produce music electronically, and that has been a massive influence on where my sound has gone – now I’m knee-deep in a synth-based, rhythm-driven sound.
06. Who have been your musical influences? Lately, I’m super into really contemporary beat-makers like Mura Masa, Louis the Child, Kaytranda… who always work with really flexible and interesting vocalists. I love how they combine such nimble, danceable songs with such strong melodies!
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? Hectic question. Fav song of the minute would be ‘Instant Crush’ by Palais ftg. Your Girl Pho… and fav (pop) song of all time is probably ‘Can’t Get You Out Of My Head’ by Kylie. That is a genius little gem of a song. Cathy Dennis killed it with that one.
08. What was the first album you bought? Far out. Truthfully, I’m a little ashamed… but it was… ‘Baby One More Time’ by Britney.
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I feel like I just bared my soul admitting to that Britney album. But… just for fun : I once waxed my legs using packing tape when I was 14. I was scared of puberty! But, in all seriousness, 0/10 would not recommend.
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I’d move to Japan to work in a cuddle café. Google it.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Wear contact lenses. Nah, but seriously, the best advice I’ve received was to continuously upskill – never stop learning.
12. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Joy’ is a song I wrote in response to a tough period where it felt like everyone wanted too much from me. I’ve always been a polite type, and sometimes people feel they can lean on you too much – I’m sure you know the feeling. ‘Joy’ tries to capture how it feels when you stand up for yourself and draw a line in the sand.
13. What do your future plans involve? ‘Joy’ is just the first of a string of singles planned for this year. They’re all danceable, uplifting tracks, and hopefully they resonate with people. I’m working on my live show, which will debut later this year, and I’m currently planning a music video for my second single.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? Later this year! For now, you’ll just have to stream me on Spotify ;)