We’d like you to Get To Know Oliver Sol on the site this morning; the Melbourne-based electronic producer has just dropped his latest single ‘How Did You Know’.
But electronica wasn’t always streaming through his veins, as you’ll discover in our latest feature.
01. Name : OLIVER SOL.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne.
03. How did you get your start in music? Music was in my blood from an early age as my father and my uncle played in a hair metal band together. I sat through endless rehearsals and shows with them so it was kind of inevitable that I’d follow suit.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Left of centre electronic pop.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. Big, dark sounding, electronic songs. It developed out of necessity. I’d always played in bands, making music with other bodies but the more and more I did it, the more and more selfish I got. I kind of wanted to do things my way and only have myself to blame if things didn’t work, so the solo production thing was the most logical thing to do.
06. Who have been your musical influences? Jeff Buckley for his transcendent voice and emotional delivery, Nick Cave for his story telling and unapologetic nature, Kanye West for his production moves and Germany for its techno.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? Michael Jackson – ‘Thriller’ // Outkast – ‘B.O.B.’ // Sarah Blasko – ‘Perfect Now’ // Wu Tang Clan – ‘Triumph’ // Grinderman – ‘No Pussy Blues’ // Moderat – ‘A New Error’.
08. What was the first album you bought? Jeff Buckley – ‘Grace’.
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I run a boutique artist management company and record label called Thirds Music.
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Wouldn’t ever happen.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Be comfortable in your own skin and don’t stop working.
12. Tell us about your latest release. ‘How Did You Know’ is the first track taken off my debut EP which is slated for release later in the year. It features my bro and Canberra based MC, Citizen Kay.
13. What do your future plans involve? Got the video, a remix collection and a warehouse launch party for this single so it’s shaping up to be a pretty busy couple of months.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? Saturday March 18 in Brunswick, with Tiber, Hypersleep, Zabier, Diamond & ALWYZ. Location and exact deets can be found at www.oliversol.com.