We’re going international this morning as we Get To Know Sonny, an up and coming London talent with a crazy good voice.
His debut single ‘Princess’ is a revelation; timeless, instantly familiar and with a vocal that only comes around every so often and oozes with soul and class.
It’s so good, we couldn’t let the opportunity slide to Get To Know Sonny a little more.
1. Name : Sonny.
2. Where are you based? I’m from South Shields and flit between there and London.
3. How did you get your start in music? I got my start by playing gigs in my hometown. My dad used to play in a band so we started gigging together from a young age, then after a while I started gigging on my own. I got noticed by my management team at 14, they told me I was too young, to focus on school and to call them when I was 16, so I did!
4. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Soulful, old skool, new skool, rock & roll, sometimes deep and sometimes fun.
5. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. My sound started with very acoustic, singer/songwriter vibes but I’ve always had a passion for soul music, artists like Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye so I started to add this sound into my songs and now my music is a mix of those styles.
6. Who have been your musical influences? Oh, that’s hard but I’ll try! Stevie Wonder, Bruno Mars, Ray Lamontagne, John Martyn, Etta James, Coldplay, The Beatles… the list is endless!
7. What are your favourite songs of all time? Hmmmmm .. that’s so hard guys! ‘May You Never’ – John Martyn, ‘He’s Misstra Know-It-All’ – Stevie Wonder, ‘Fix You’ – Coldplay and many many more.
8. What was the first album you bought? ‘Undiscovered’ by James Morrison. I found him really inspiring at the time and he was also another influence early on as I began to buy my own music.
9. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I can do the best ‘Big Brother’ voiceover voice!
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? No plan B I’m afraid, flopping A levels as we speak! I’m having to re-sit the first year.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? My advice to myself is to always improve, you can never stop learning. My family and my management are very honest with me and keep me grounded and working hard, which isn’t always easy when your friends pretty much party 24/7 and have no responsibilities yet! I always strive to write and sound as well as I can. Another piece of great advice I got is to be patient and just enjoy what I’m doing. I always find when I do that, I do the best work.
12. Tell us about your latest release. My single ‘Princess’ is about a very personal song I wrote about a previous relationship, I think lots of people will be able to relate to the lyrics… it’s about having a partner that is high maintenance. And is all about how I was feeling at the time. It’s the first single from my upcoming EP ‘Hopeless Romance’ which comes out in March and I can’t wait to share all of the music!
13. What do your future plans involve? I want to keep writing music that I love, I’d love to play some summer festivals and a headline tour. I can’t wait to get going with some of the other music I have beyond this EP and get a body of work out there, an album. I’m excited for anything and everything that comes my way in the future but also really enjoying the moment.