Get To Know The Hiding, an outfit from Melbourne who’ll have you wrapped around their little fingers with their new single ‘Lost Kids Balloon’.
Yes, we’ve featured their musical wares on the site previously, but who are they? What’s their claim to fame? And will they tickle your fancy?
Find out this morning in our latest feature.
01. Band name : The Hiding.
02. Where are you based? The eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
03. How did you choose your band name? When we were in the process of changing our style from a previous project into what is now The Hiding, we took some time to really explore different influences and sounds. We essentially went into ‘Hiding’ until we were content with where we were at.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Up and about electro pop.
05. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? We’ve performed at CMJ music festival in New York a few years ago, as well as played at the inaugural Stone Music Festival in Sydney where Van Halen, Billy Joel and Aerosmith headlined which was an incredible experience.
06. Who are your members? Anthony Salce (Vocals, Guitar, Production), Ryan Di Cecco (Bass, Vocals), Chris Salce (Vocals, Keys, Production). We also feature Stewart Winchester in our live set for Guest Vocals.
07. How was the band formed? The Hiding was formed out of a previous project that was a more rock influenced act. Anthony & Ryan were in this act for a few years, whilst Chris jumped into the band in 2015.
08. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? A progression into a more pop focus occurred, whilst keeping true to our contemplative and relatable lyrics at the same time. Recently, we’ve encorporated more electronic influence into our releases and live set. We find that the possibilities are endless as a result of this move in direction, and we’re loving every second!
09. Tell us a little bit about your sound. We try and make sure that a strong party vibe comes through within our tracks, whether that be through our releases or our live shows. Lyrically, our focus is on creating a relatable bond with the listener based off our own real life experiences and emotions.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time?
• Anthony : ‘November Rain’ by Guns N’ Roses. I recently caught this live at the MCG and it’s simplicity at its best, plus you’ve gotta love Axl’s vocals.
• Chris : ‘Runaway’ by Kanye West. There’s so many different elements that Kanye pulls in and out of the song that gives it a real difference to the rest of his music. The video clip is something to be admired too!
• Ryan : ‘Whats My Age Again’ by Blink 182. This was a song that was played all the time during my childhood, mainly due to the relatable nature of the band and the lyrics. They were so raw and edgy during their peak, and it was a song that really grabbed at you from the get go.
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? Anthony and Ryan temporarily relocated to New York for three months and were staying in a pretty dangerous part of Brooklyn which was known for crime and gangs. There were plenty sleepless nights that’s for sure!
12. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Lost Kids Balloon’ is all about a friend of Anthony’s who was experiencing some challenges in their life. It’s centred around the awakening when you realise you’re no longer in your loved one’s future.
13. What do your future plans involve? This year will involve a fair bit of touring, and trying to reach some parts of Australia we haven’t been to in a while or at all. You’ll hear some new music while we’re at it too!
14. Where can our audience catch you live? You can catch us at our ‘Lost Kids Balloon’ single launch on Saturday April 01 at Horse Bazaar in Melbourne with special guests MorningMaxwell & Serein.
WEBSITE : www.thehidingmusic.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/thehidingmusic/
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/thehiding
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/thehiding/
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/thehiding