She’s launching her new single ‘What After Now’ with a gig tomorrow night, so what better time to Get To Know Maya?
The single is a sumptuous, incredibly stylish slice of future soul, which is accompanied by a truly classy music video.
In fact, it’s so polished, it’s hard to believe she’s still an independent.
So without further ado… Let’s get to know Maya.
01. Name : Maya.
02. Where are you based? St Kilda, Melbourne.
03. How did you get your start in music? My father got me up to improvise with him when I was 10 years old at his gigs but I used to hold private shows for my family since I could speak.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Unique, layered, colourful and freestyled.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. My sound changes all the time as I change. I am still developing but it is growing with the inspirations around me. My sound is just my way of portraying my emotions.
06. Who have been your musical influences? Lauryn Hill, Dusty Springfield, Andre 3000, Erykah Badu, BB King, Buddy Guy, Flume and many more.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Stairway To Heaven’ by Led Zeppelin, ‘To Build A Home’ by The Cinematic Orchestra and ‘Breathe’ by Sia.
08. What was the first album you bought? ‘Forever Faithless’ by Faithless.
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I am a natural red head and my grandmother is an Auschwitz survivor.
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Television presenter or artist.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Don’t stop working.
12. Tell us about your latest release. ‘What After Now’ is a song about living in your surroundings positivity. Not trying to change your future but changing your now. I wrote it to try and remind myself and others to not fear the unknown. Yet to embrace what you can’t control.
13. What do your future plans involve? A lot of performance and personal growth. Hopefully to also meet the people who inspire me and somehow inspire them.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? The Toff In Town in Melbourne this Tuesday the 25th for my official single launch party.
WEBSITE : http://www.mayaofficialmusic.com.au
FACEBOOK : http://www.facebook.com/MAYAofficialmusic/
TWITTER : http://www.twitter.com/MAYAoffcialmusic
INSTAGRAM : http://www.instagram/mayamusicx
SOUNDCLOUD : http://www.soundcloud.com/mayaofficialmusic