Get to know Ginger And The Ghost; a Sydney duo set to seduce you with their just-released single ‘Glow’.
Discover how they were formed, discover their sound and find out where you’ll be able to see them at their upcoming shows in both Sydney and Melbourne.
01. Band name : Ginger And The Ghost.
02. Where are you based? Sydney.
03. How did you choose your name? The band name was something I came up with at the beginning of our first studios sessions. I wanted something that made us sound like an adventure book or a tale of two characters.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Free spirited, majestic mythological creatures (he he).
05. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? Diplo’s summer playlists, remix by the lovely Ta-Ku, performing in a 700 year old tree in Alice Springs is my kinda claim to fame!
06. Who are your members? Me (Missy) and Daniel. I like to say we are a project not a band because we collaborate and create with other artists, musicians and producers.
07. How was the project formed? I wanted to write my own album and Daniel wanted to come play music for it, then we just merged into this project. It was a recording session in a water tank recording studio and we wrote on the studio while recording so it became our project.
08. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? We’ve used some amazing programs for soundscapes this time and added a lot of synth pads and unique samples, and our producer Ben Brick (Paul Carter) is a master of piano and influenced the sound. I was ready for a full, lush more electronic sound and we used organic samples and sounds to develop the new music that is still unreleased. It was more folkie twelve string-based pop before – now it’s more progressive and we have a different take on the experimental aspects.
We used a lot of ceremonial sounds this time and ‘Glow’ is probably the most straight down the line track, so expect it to get more left of centre moving forward! I feel we have a lot more forward motion and danceable beats too. Accents of dance!
09. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Well, we hope it inspires and connects to a lot of people out there. Our sound has influences from a lot of cultures and we draw from the spirit of ceremony. We used programs that have unique audio landscapes. Someone set a piano on fire and played it while it burnt, so the cracking nostalgic sound of a fire and piano really blew us away.
Others were trees falling in the forest that we used for beats so it sounded like a tree walking along. I imagined the feeling of a tree walking, its roots dragging over the soil. The feeling that it was free and could run from danger.
We were drawn to sounds that had a visceral effect on us.
Hoping one may step back and daydream / reminisce or immerse themselves in imaginings.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? ‘Hyberballad’ by Björk.
11. What’s your strangest experience as a band? Playing to two people in a very intimate venue.
12. Tell us about your latest release. Our new single ‘Glow’. The track was written in London at Tileyards studios with Ian Barter (Paloma Faith producer and Amy Winehouse guitarist), finished off with our producer Ben Brick (Paul Carter).
It was literally a half day purge on a very basic microphone in a tiny little rental studio at Tileyards. We developed it further and kept the vocals pitchy and raw and only added some sparkly elements and base after the initial demo. It’s the most straight down the line song we have but it has the common thread of the vocals.
It’s a big sound but still has sparkly atmospheric sounds that keep it in our realm. It’s the most pop track on the new album so we started with that and we’ll put out the more experimental songs next !
13. What do your future plans involve? Releasing our album during this year with lots of the content and touring Oz and Europe!!! We have plans for some experiential performances and art collaborations so it’s nice to have motion happening. Our die-hard fans have been waiting bloody years! So we are excited to give them a present!
14. Where can our audience catch you live?
April 16 : Melbourne (Howler) “Easter Espionage” presented by THE OPERATIVES (seriously killer line up, FREE show)
April 21 : Sydney (The Nest) (Full launch of film clip and single at our very own art studios! Going to be nuts). Buy tix HERE.
WEBSITE : http://gingerandtheghost.com.au/
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/gingerandtheghost/
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/ginger_theghost
INSTAGRAM : https://instagram.com/gingerandtheghost
SOUNDCLOUD : https://www.soundcloud.com/gingerandtheghost
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/user/gingerandtheghost