We get to know Phoenix Melody, a fresh new urban/pop artist out of Sydney who’s just released her seriously cool debut single ‘Be The One’.
She first rose to fame via the 2013 sojourn on ‘The X Factor’ but has spent some of the past year Stateside creating the sounds which will ultimate form her upcoming debut EP.
But before all that arrives, we’d best get to know what makes her tick in our latest feature.
01. Name : Phoenix Melody.
02. Where are you based? Sydney, Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? I grew up in a musically talented family, so I was always encouraged early on. I used to perform at school events and local festivals and after finishing high school I began writing and collaborating with Sydney artists in the studio.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Daring, raw, authentic, fun and (a little bit) crazy.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. My aim is to make good music, not particular to one specific genre. I would say I am mostly an R&B-pop artist, but I’d like to think of my sound as an innovation of old and new because I have always listened to all kinds of old and new music.
06. Who have been your musical influences? I grew up listening to artists such as Queen, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston. The greats of my dad’s era who have carried on as living and past legends. I would say out of those MJ, Queen and Celine have been major influences and a massive inspiration to me, as their quality of music and professionalism in performing both vocally and on stage is what inspired me to become an artist.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? A piano piece by Yiruma called ‘River Flows In You’ and Michael Jackson’s ‘Speechless’.
08. What was the first album you bought? Um… I’m pretty sure it was a Spice Girls album. I didn’t have the funds back then, so I made my dad pay for it haha.
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I have 17 tattoos. One’s hidden on my lip!
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I’d probably be a tattoo artist. Definitely needed to be something involving creativity.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? To trust yourself, keep your circle small and to use my voice to vocalise my opinion.
12. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Be The One’ was produce by Da BeatFreakz in London and written by myself and Tha Hitbangaz in LA. It’s a vibin’ tune about expressing your feelings towards someone who has awakened a new feeling inside of you. It’s what I’ve felt but never had the guts to say or ask. It’s fun.
13. What do your future plans involve? The release of my EP, an Australian tour, and hopefully lots of international travel!
14. Where can our audience catch you live? I will be announcing my first tour soon!