• Welcome to your Saturday edition of The Purge. We’re kicking it off this week with the new album from Dan Sultan. Hot on the heels of his sold-out solo tour, Dan will drop the new LP (entitled ‘Killer’) at the end of next month. The album (cover pictured at top) features 11 new tracks, including the recently released single ‘Hold It Together’ (HERE). To celebrate its release, Dan will hit the road again from the first of September, making stops in all bar the Northern Territory. That said, Territorians will get to see him supporting Midnight Oil in early October in both Darwin and the Alice. Frontier members get exclusive access to the pre-sale, which kicks off at 2pm AEST this Monday, followed by the general public, whose tickets go live at 10am local time on Wednesday, June 07.
• Peking Duk are back with a new single. The lads have teamed up with AlunaGeorge for their new tune called ‘Fake Magic’, which dropped at both digital retail and media yesterday. “We spoke about the idea of a woman coming into a man’s life and showing him the real magic in this world, an alternative world that is not weighed down by fake highs and material disappointment,” Aluna explained of the meaning behind the new track, which is the follow up to their triple platinum smash ‘Stranger’.
• Also dropping yesterday was ‘Down’, the new single from US girl group Fifth Harmony. Gucci Mane provides a rap on the new song, which is the girls’ first since the departure of Camila Cabello late last year. Will the less harmonious foursome still have the same superstar clout without Ms Cabello? Time will tell.
• Former ‘X Factor’ favourite Jason Owen will drop a new album at the end of the month. Called ‘Jason Owen Sings John Denver’, it delivers what the title promises… Jason covering some of the legendary performer’s classic songs, including ‘Thank God I’m A Country Boy’, ‘Take Me Home Country Roads’, ‘Sunshine On My Shoulders’ and ‘Annie’s Song’, which kick-started his ‘X Factor’ journey back in 2012. The album’s out June 30.
• Norwegian/New Zealand duo Anna Of The North will release their debut album ‘Lovers’ on Friday September 08. They’ve popped the top off the title track (listen HERE) and have also confirmed they’ll be in Australia just a couple of weeks prior to its release for live shows in Sydney and Melbourne. Catch them at the Hudson Ballroom in Sydney on August 23 and at the Northcote Social Club in Melbourne on August 24. Tickets are on sale now.
• Rapper 2Chainz has confirmed the release of his new album ‘Pretty Girls Like Trap Music’ in just a couple of weeks time. Digital pre-orders of the new album come with a handful of grat tracks featuring, among others, Travis Scott, Gucci Mane, Trey Songz and Drake. The 16 track LP is landing on Friday June 16.
• Brisbane four piece Major Leagues will celebrate the June 16 release of their debut album ‘Good Love’ by hitting the road in support of it throughout August. The album tour kicks off at Rocket Bar in Adelaide on August 11, before touching down in Melbourne, Ballarat, Toowoomba, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Wollongong, Canberra and Sydney throughout the rest of the month. Tickets for all dates are on sale now.
• Tex Perkins, Don Walker & Charlie Owen are back together again, releasing their long-awaited third album ‘You Don’t Know Lonely’ at the end of this month. To celebrate its release, the boys are hitting the road for an extensive 20 date national tour throughout August and September. They’ll make stops in almost all of our states and territories (only Tassie misses out); the tour kicking off with a double date at the Factory Theatre in Sydney on August 23 and 24. Tickets for all shows are on sale at 9am this Tuesday, June 06.
• And with the original Yours & Owls Festival edging closer to selling out (i.e. quick sticks), organisers have confirmed a special mini Under 18s version. To be held at Waves Nightclub on September 30 from 11am, the gig will feature performances from Safia, The Preatures, Trophy Eyes, Bec Sandridge and many more. Tickets are on sale now.
• No change whatsoever to the UK top three this week, with Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee, DJ Khaled and Liam Payne occupying the top three spots with their respective hit singles. But there is a big re-entry in the No.4 position from Captain SKA’s ‘Liar Liar’, thanks to its high profile use in a campaign against current Prime Minister Theresa May in the lead-up to the UK election. Our own William Singe now has a top ten hit on his hands, thanks to his appearance on the Jonas Blue single ‘Mama’, which is up from No.12 to No.8. Rita Ora’s new single ‘Your Song’ just misses the top ten on debut, premiering at No.13.
• That’s one way to celebrate your 50th anniversary… at No.1 on the UK albums chart. That’s where The Beatles’ re-edition of ‘Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’ is spending the week, knocking Ed Sheeran from top spot. Not that Ed’s gone too far (merely down to No.2, ahead of Rag ‘N’ Bone Man and a No.4 debut for the new Charlatans album ‘Different Days’. The Amazons’ self-titled debut album premieres in the No.8 position, but Bryson Tiller can’t quite make it into the top ten… settling instead for a No.11 debut for ‘True To Self’.
• Like in the UK, it’s a carbon copy of the top three on the Billboard Hot 100 singles charts in the USA this week, with ‘Despacito’, ‘That’s What I Like’ and ‘I’m The One’ retaining positions one through three for Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee, Bruno Mars and DJ Khaled respectively. Kendrick Lamar’s ‘Humble’ is on the up (No.5 to No.4) at the expense of Ed Sheeran’s ‘Shape Of You’ (No.4 to No.5). Kygo and Selena Gomez pop their head into the top ten this week with their single ‘It Wasn’t Me’. It improves from No.12 to No.10. Speaking of Selena, her new solo single ‘Bad Liar’ is in a big hurry, bulleting from No.80 to No.27.
• Another week, another new No.1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart. Harry Styles is out (down to No.3) and Linkin Park’s ‘One More Light’ is in (No.1 on debut). Kendrick Lamar’s album ‘Damn’ improves from No.3 to No.2, while the rest of the top five belongs to Drake and Chris Stapleton. Rascal Flatts just miss the top ten with their new album ‘Back To Us’, which has to settle for a No.11 debut. The new Papa Roach LP ‘Crooked Teeth’ is new at No.20.
• Almost there… Yes, that’s the end of another scintillating edition of The Purge. Don’t forget, we’ll be back at 6pm AEST tonight with the latest instalment of ARIA Chart Watch, our weekly wrap of the ARIA top 100s. Have a great Saturday!
TUESDAY JUNE 06 : Alt-J (Nationally)
TUESDAY JUNE 06 : Tex, Don & Charlie (Nationally)
WEDNESDAY JUNE 07 : Sia (Sydney, Melbourne)
WEDNESDAY JUNE 07 : Dan Sultan (Nationally)
FRIDAY JUNE 09 : Playing It Forward Concert (Melbourne)
FRIDAY JUNE 09 : The Preatures (Nationally)