Get To Know Tender, a UK duo who’s just dropped their swoonsome new single ‘Nadir’.
Not only that, but they’ve also got a debut album called ‘Modern Addiction’ on the way in early September.
AND they’ve also clearly got plenty of love for us Aussies if their answers to our questions below are anything to go by.
01. How was the band formed? We’ve been living together and playing in an old indie band for the past five or six years and we decided to turn our focus to making music with some electronic sounds.
02. Tell us a little bit about your sound. It’s usually some organic drums and bass guitar using a bit of a funky line underneath more modern synths and effects.
03. Who are some of your biggest influences? Tame Impala, Bon Iver, Air, The National, Jungle, Ratatat.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Sexy. Vibes. With. Bassy. Surprise.
05. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? We used to make all of our songs in a little basement studio, and we moved last year, so now it’s all made in our third floor apartment instead! We get to see a bit more sunlight and perhaps the songs reflect that. We’ve also branched out to a live show with four of us playing, so we have guys playing drums and bass live.
06. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Dan : Air ‘La Femme D’Argent’ and James : Tame Impala ‘Feels Like We Only Go Backwards’.
07. What’s been your strangest experience as a band? It’s always strange when you reach out to somebody in a different field that you are a fan of their work and it turns out that they’re already fans of ours. That happened recently with Melbourne-based photographer Tom Blachford, whose work we love!
08. Tell us about your latest single. ‘Nadir’ is a song that, on the surface, sounds like a break-up song, but it’s actually a bit more nuanced. It’s about the different stages that all long-term relationships go through. They all experience both good and bad patches regardless of whether or not they end in a break-up. Sometimes it’s just about managing to reconnect with each other.
09. What do your future plans involve? Any plans for you guys to come to Australia? We’re releasing our debut album ‘Modern Addiction’ on September 01 and we’ll be touring UK and North America. We’re hoping to make it out to Australia shortly after that as it’s somewhere we’re desperate to visit. Dan is an expert on Australian A-League footy, so he’s already got an affinity to the place!
‘Modern Additcion’ is released on Friday September 01.