Join us this Thursday morning as we get to know Hansaa, a fresh new artist dividing his time between Sydney and Los Angeles.
Born in the former, but based in the latter Hansaa has just dropped his freaking sweet new single ‘Need To Know’.
We think you’ll like it. We think you’ll like him.
So Get To Know Hansaa in our latest feature.
01. Name : Hansaa (Vinay Matta).
02. Where are you based? Los Angeles and Sydney.
03. How did you get your start in music? Started DJing parties and clubs for fun and money in college but I didn’t like being restricted to playing bangers/top 40.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist.
• high expectations
• anti routine
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. My sound is influenced by a hybrid of organic instrumentation combined with ethereal and ambient soundscapes. Love to create a humanised feel to the music on the backdrop of it feeling cinematic.
06. Who have been your musical influences? Kanye West, Jamie XX, Moderat, Lana Del Rey, Clams Casino.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Haunted/Ghost’ – Beyoncé, ‘Meet Ur Maker’ – Shlohmo, Rob Thomas – ‘Little Wonders’, Sia – ‘Elastic Heart’, ‘You Know’ – Flume ftg. Allan Kingdom and Raekwon, ‘Can’t Hold My Liquor’ – Kanye West, ‘The Last Day’ – Moby ftg. Skylar Grey.
08. What was the first album you bought? ‘The Eminem Show’ – I used to think swear words in music were awesome when I was eight – they kind of were!
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I’m not a classically trained musician at all. I only know basic theory. I picked up the drums and trombone when I was younger but the interest was never there so I never pursued them – really regret it. The things I’d do to know how to play the violin.
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I’d probably get into acting. I was always good at it in school and it was my major at college before I quit. Or try be a talk show host – Eric Andre is my hero.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Two pieces of advice; 1. Be timeless – the best artists in the world are the ones that help the ones around them succeed. 2. Associate yourself with people who share dreams as big as you and build yourself a solid and organic team.
12. Tell us about your latest release. Latest record is a collaborative single between myself, LA production duo soso and Oliver Tank. It explores the nature and depth of human vulnerability.
13. What do your future plans involve? Have a bunch of songs with the soso dudes we’re ready to release in the not-so-distant future featuring artists such as A.CHAL, G4SHi and MTNS just to name a few. I’m also just doing a bit of producing for a few artists and a little bit of ghost production here and there.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? Hopefully at Coachella one day lol. Not playing any shows as of now, just at the studio most days writing a little more heavier influenced stuff.
WEBSITE : www.hansaamusic.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/hansaamusic
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/hansaamusic
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/hansaamusic
SPOTIFY : https://open.spotify.com/artist/0mvVxfHVFcVWKjIWXVSQSa