We get to know Rose Gray this morning. She’s a stylish young soul/pop starlet from London who’s just dropped her new single ‘Ring The Alarm’.
But who is she? Who are the artists that have inspired her over the years? And what would she be doing if a music career wasn’t an option? Mermaid perhaps?
Read on as we Get To Know Rose Gray.
01. Name : Rose Gray.
02. Where are you based? Born and bred in London.
03. How did you get your start in music? I grew up in a household of creatives and as a kid was surrounded by really great music. I started as a teen writing poetry and I always loved to sing. When I was at sixthform I was going to the studio a lot and recording. I then met my current label and producer and that’s where it all began.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Mmm… well I hope to be these things. Soulful, timeless, honest, powerful and raw.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. From when I was a kid, I always had a real love for music. I looked up to musical greats like Prince, Aretha Franklin, Amy Winehouse, Lauryn Hill and Nina Simone… all thanks to my Popps, who would sit me down and be like “listen Rose… feed your young ears with good music”. And I did and after a while I truly fell in love with music. So I guess when I first started to make music and be in these musical situations there was naturally a sound I wanted to create. So yeah my sound is soulful, there’s Motown and jazz in there, there is also real orchestral and cinematic elements.
06. Who have been your musical influences? My biggest influences come from the music I grew up on, so I guess… Aretha Franklin, Prince, Dusty Springfield, Al Green, Amy Winehouse, The Beatles… the list could keep going for a while.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? If I had to say it would be: ‘Light My Fire’ – Shirley Bassey, ‘Imagine’ -John Lennon, ‘Simply Beautiful’ – Al Green, ‘Zion’ – Lauryn Hill.
08. What was the first album you bought? I think it was ‘Stripped’ – Christina Aguilera.
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. Mmm… A part of me believes I am a mermaid haha.
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I’d be an actress or a writer… something creative… but if that wasn’t possible I think I would be on a island somewhere working for a little beach bar and practising yoga.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Love what you do. And work your butt off doing it – wise words from my Popps.
12. Tell us about your latest release. It’s a track called ‘Ring The Alarm’. It was written to reflect how people feel when they find themselves in situations controlled by dissatisfaction, suffering and being in unhappy relationships, not knowing their full potential..
13. What do your future plans involve? I’m bringing out a full visual EP later this year (end of summer) and whilst that’s happening I’m in the studio most days working on my album.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? I will start having some UK dates September time. Soon come.
WEBSITE : http://rosegray.tv
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/rosegrayworld
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/rosegrayworld
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/rosegrayworld
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/rosegray