We get to know Sunset City, whose new single ‘Pockets’ was inspired by a strange experience in Hong Kong.
You may, of course, recognise the band, after we collaborated with them at the end of last year to premiere their single at the time, ‘Can I Go Back?’.
Their new tune, created alongside the MSquared boys in Melbourne, is a cracker.
1. Band name : Sunset City .
2. Where are you based? Gold Coast, QLD.
3. Who are your members? Parker Rose (vocals), Matt Scully (Guitar), Rob Johnson (Bass), Brady Parsons (Drums).
4. How was the band formed? Parker and Matt were originally going to play some acoustic sets together. Rob was Matt’s roommate at the time and he joined in on our first rehearsal just casually. After that rehearsal we figured lets just get a drummer and be a band. Rob knew Brady and gave him a call, I think a few weeks later we were officially Sunset City.
5. Tell us a little bit about your sound. It’s a little bit dark, but we still try to keep it fun and funky.
6. If you had to compare yourselves to an already established act sound-wise, who would it be? I dont think we’d compare ourselves to them, but were definitely huge fans of Bruno Mars, The Weeknd and the classic Maroon 5 stuff.
7. How did you choose your band name? Sunset City came from a very long session of searching for band names. After a lot of funny and just outright awful names were thrown around, Parker threw out the name of one of the first songs he wrote called ‘Sunset City’. Everyone vibed it so we went with it.
8. Give us five words to best describe you as a band. Fun, Electro, Dark, Pop, Funk.
9. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? The biggest change is definitely the music. It’s transitioned to a much darker funkier tone than we first imagined.
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Parker : I dont have one. I love everything too much. I’m pretty unfaithful in that regard. But if I had to choose it would probably be from the Max Martin catalogue. I love the swedish pop stuff.
Matt : ‘Kids’ by One Republic.
Rob : ‘Love Foolosophy’ by Jamiroquai.
Brady : I have many phases where I have a new favourite. If I had to put one down it’d be ‘Africa’ by Toto as it has stood the test of time and there’s no other song like it.
11. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? Opening for the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.
12. What’s been your strangest experience as a band? Probably playing Suncorp Stadium! It was like, oh okay this is serious now.
13. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Pockets’ came about in a studio session with the MSquared Production boys. Shout out to Paynter & Delo! Paynter was talking about China and I (Parker) started telling them about when I was in Hong Kong. I went to this really nice club called Dragon-i (the type of place where your bottle of Moet comes to the table on fire).
I’d literally just got through the door and this gorgeous girl was super flirty with me. I talked to her for probably 20 minutes, she was pretty touchy, so naturally I just thought I must have been really funny. Anyway I went inside to buy us drinks and when I went to pay I put my hand in my pockets and couldn’t find any of my money.
So I went back outside to find her and she was gone – then I realised I was played! The guys found it pretty funny so we just started singing about it over the music that we got cooking that morning.
14. What do your future plans involve? We just want to keep making more great tracks for everyone to enjoy and see where it leads us.
15. Where can our audience catch you live? We’ll be releasing tour dates later this year, so definitely keep an eye on our socials.
WEBSITE : http://www.sunsetcityofficial.com
FACEBOOK : http://www.facebook.com/sunsetcityofficial
TWITTER : http://www.twitter.com/sunsetcitymusic
INSTAGRAM : http://www.instagram.com/sunsetcityofficial