We’re heading off to the UK to get to know Amber Donoso, who’s just dropped her fizzy new single ‘Get Off’.
Not only has she dropped the single itself, but she’s also dropped a music video that’s certainly a cut above the independent artist norm.
So join us as we launch into our latest feature.
01. Name : Amber Donoso.
02. Where are you based? In London, UK.
03. How did you get your start in music? I began playing the guitar at ten years old and then started singing and songwriting shortly after. Ever since a very young age I knew music was going to be my career. So since then, I have been on the path to pursue my dreams.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Expressive. Fresh. Relatable. Wild. Fun.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I grew up listening to all genres of music, so my music has been inspired by many different artists. I started more down the singer/songwriter vibe as it was just me and my guitar. However, when I turned 15 I started really focusing on R&B and hip hop so my music started to evolve. Lauryn Hill and Erykah Badu both played massive roles in my sound and my evolvement as an artist. I most admire their beautiful, clever songwriting and effortless tones. Once I began listening to more soul and R&B the more I realised that was where I wanted to slot in as an artist. I loved the complex riffs and vocal techniques. They challenged me and kept me constantly learning. In the past few years I have been working with many different producers on crafting my own sound and making it as authentic and fresh as possible.
06. Who have been your musical influences? Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu, Madonna, Gwen Stefani, Chris Brown, J Balvin and many more.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Like A Prayer’ by Madonna, ‘You Got Me’ by The Roots & Erykah Badu, ‘Let Me Blow Ya Mind’ by Eve & Gwen Stefani, ‘What’s Luv’ by Fat Joe, Ja Rule & Ashanti.
08. What was the first album you bought? Cher.
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I’m six foot tall.
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? To be honest I have never thought of doing anything other than being an artist which is what I am. I’m a big believer in if you want something go get it. No distractions. So if I had another career choice it would rub off some of my drive for what I’m going for now. So artist is my way forward!
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Be true to yourself. There’s really no point trying to imitate anyone else as that person is already filling that slot. The best thing you can do is do your own thing and people will massively admire you for that.
12. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Get Off’ is about my relationship with an ex-boyfriend. The theme of the song is being unable to move on from someone you are still in love with. It was important for me when writing the song that there was a clear journey. I wanted people to really understand my thought process in and after the relationship and how that left me feeling. It was also key for me to write the song for people to related to. This is a topic (love) which is universal, so I hope everyone is able to empathise or relate to the story.
13. What do your future plans involve? Now that the video for ‘Get Off’ (above) has premiered, I’m performing the track around the UK and finishing off my next single which I’m really excited for.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? Keep an eye on my website and social media for any up and coming performances!
WEBSITE : http://amberdonoso.com/
FACEBOOK : http://www.facebook.com/Amberdonosomusic/
TWITTER : http://twitter.com/amberdonoso
INSTAGRAM : http://www.instagram.com/amberdonoso/
SOUNDCLOUD : http://soundcloud.com/amberdonoso