We get to know Archy Stranger, a hot new act from the Central Station stable who’s just launched his debut single ‘Holiday’.
We’re told he’s currently in the studio “with a whole bunch of Aussie artists and producers” and to expect more new music coming in the months ahead.
But just who is Archy Stranger? And what’s said debut single like?
Naturally, we reckon you’re going to dig it. So join us as we get to know him in our latest feature.
01. Name : Archy Stranger.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne.
03. How did you get your start in music? I first started making music when I was around 15 just as a creative outlet, but have started to get a bit more serious about it. I just used to upload lots of different songs to Soundcloud under a range of different project names but have recently started focusing specifically on Archy Stranger stuff.
04. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. Initially I was just producing songs but then I started looking for vocalists to feature on my songs. Which was actually how I got into singing. I was recording vocal ideas for other vocalists to come and re-record but people seemed to like my vocals so they just kind of stuck.
05. Who have been your musical influences? Some big influences for me have been James Blake, Jamie xx and Kanye.
06. What are your favourite songs of all time? Would have to be ‘4 Degrees’ by Anohni. There is such a strong message behind Anohni’s lyrics and Hudmo’s production is just insane.
07. What was the first album you ever bought? ‘Late Registration’ by Kanye West.
08. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I’m a very creative person so I’d still always want to be doing something creative. I also study design so probably something design related.
09. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Probably just to value your own opinion and judgement.
10. Tell us about your latest release. The initial concept for ‘Holiday’ actually came from an idea that I recorded on my phone on a piano at a friend’s beach house. The same phone recording actually ended up in the final version. The song is about the importance of getting away and how it can offer a new perspective on things. I always feel like when I go on a trip even if it’s just for a few days. I get a new outlook on life.
11. What do your future plans involve? I’ve been working on a whole bunch of new material for myself and other artists so hopefully that will start to make its way out into the world. I’ve also been working on a live show which I’m looking to debut sometime next year.