We get to know Echo City and their bizarre tale of working as bandmates and creating sublime pop music without ever actually meeting.
Yes, the duo live on different sides of the Pacific and have crafted a brilliant new single entitled ‘Burn Me’, which we think you’re going to love.
So get to know them, how they formed… and what they thought of each other when they finally did meet!
01. Band name : Echo City.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne, LA & Cyberspace!
03. Who are your members? Jade Goodge, Carter Carlton.
04. How was the band formed? We met through a mutual management company, based in New York, when we were working on different projects. Jade needed someone with dope programming skills, Carter needed someone to close on a lot of his lyrical ideas.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Smooth overall, but gritty electronic elements. A hint of singer-songwriter lilt in the vocals. Our next single has a little more dance to it.
06. If you had to compare yourselves to an already established act sound-wise, who would it be? Vocally, we often get compared to Halsey/Lorde/London Grammar, sometimes Florence.
07. How did you choose your band name? We were living on opposite sides of the planet, and we felt like our project was like a city that never slept – because whenever one of us would go to bed, the other would still be up working on stuff. We jokingly named our never-sleeping city ‘Echo City,’ and started ending our chats with ‘See you in Echo City!’ It kind of stuck, and has now become our imaginary happy place!
08. Give us five words to describe you as a band. Fun, passionate. Will send nudes!
09. In what ways has the band changed form when it was formed to today? We’ve actually met in person!
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Jade – The ‘Doctor Who’ theme song. Carter – ‘Mmmbop’.
11. What’s your biggest claim to fame so far? Jade won the Port Douglas Jack Daniels Karaoke Idol one year, but the details are a little hazy. She won a disposable underwater camera – it was pretty sick! Carter thought he got recognised once in a pub, but they actually thought he was someone else! So we are already kicking major goals! Our first collaboration for a single, ‘Love You Harder’ (for Carter’s solo project), got over a million streams in the first few months of release, that was a pretty awesome feeling.
12. What’s been your strangest experience as a band? Meeting in person! We’re both way taller than the other anticipated!
13. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Burn Me’ is kind of cinematic and sultry, and was heaps of fun to write and produce! We had a really memorable release day – and this probably demonstrates the difference between America and Australia! – Carter went out clubbing and met Parson James. Jade was visiting her parents in rural Victoria, and woke up because a massive hunstman spider crawled onto her face… Both good omens, we guess!
14. What do your future plans involve? Sending tasteful nudes to the heads of Sony and Universal.
WEBSITE : www.echocitymusic.com
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/echocityofficial
TWITTER : http://www.twitter.com/echocitymusic
INSTAGRAM : http://www.instagram.com/echocitymusic
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsI2Qd7hib4
SOUNDCLOUD : www.soundcloud.com/echocitymusic