We get to know Charlz today; a young artist from Melbourne whose new single ‘Feather’ might just tickle your fancy.
Not that she’s new to the game, mind you… she’s been in it since her early teens.
Find out about the new single, take a listen to it and get to know more about the woman behind it in our latest feature.
01. Name : Charlz.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne.
03. How did you get your start in music? When I was 13 I recorded an EP at home and proceeded to hand it out to pretty much everyone I met. I got myself a fake ID and played every open mic night I could find to improve my live set. When the other kids in school were studying for their final high school exams, I was flying interstate to play showcases for record labels.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Melodic, uplifting, deep, strong, gentle.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. Leading up to my solo project, I worked mostly making music for film and top lining for other producers. That combined with a childhood messing round writing songs on guitar and piano led me to my sound. I have differences in production across my songs, so the continuity is within my songwriting and as a vocalist. I think of my self as a sonic storyteller.
06. Who have been your musical influences? Chrissie Hynde, Eminem, Elvis, Neneh Cherry, Lucinda Williams.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘I Second That Emotion’ by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, ‘Suspicious Minds’ by Elvis, ‘Stan’ by Eminem and ‘Back On The Chain Gang’ by The Pretenders.
08. What was the first album you ever bought? ‘Marshall Mathers’ – Eminem
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I’ve shot every single gun owned by the Australian Army and driven one of their monster trucks which is literally the size of a small house.
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Circus.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Not everything you create is going to be a masterpiece, but you need to continue the production of creation for the pieces of magic that do come out. Basically just do it just do it just do it!
12. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Feather’ is a collaboration with two of my good friends who are extremely talented producers from LA. It’s a dreamy pop banger. It’s a love song with a drop.
13. What do your future plans involve? Starting off the year with a song I wrote with my good friend M-Phazes. I plan to do a lot of touring as I’ve spent a long time hibernating in the studio and am itching to get back on stage. I’ll be releasing lots of music throughout the year.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? I haven’t released my next live dates yet but they will be posted very soon so keep an eye on my Instagram and Twitter for show dates!