Get to know Dylan, a hot new pop act out of Wollongong who’s just dropped his new single ‘Freedom’.
Not only is the track co-penned by Dylan alongside Bec Caruana, Bachelor Girl’s Tania Doko and Sven Tydeman, but it’s produced by Melbourne own Sebastian Ivanov (aka Alius).
So go… get to know Dylan and press play on that there track below.
01. Name : DYLAN.
02. Where are you based? Wollongong, NSW.
03. How did you get your start in music? My kindergarten teacher who is no longer with us was the first one to notice my voice and did everything she could to make sure that I pursued with it. Still to this day, everything I do is for her.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Theatrical, introvert, honest, motivated and hardworking.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I’ve been releasing music since the age of 15 where I was known by my alias name, Lord Phoenix. A lot of my material back then was fictional. What else do you really write about when you’re 15? I’m now 23 and feel that I’ve learnt a lot not only about myself, but life in general. I’ve witnessed and experienced a lot for someone of my age. Love, loss, pain. All of it. I’m writing from a real, honest, place.
How I returned to DYLAN was just after I saw Sam Smith perform live for the first time. He said in his show that he tried everything and anything to make it in this industry. Dressed how people said he should dress, was writing songs similar to what was already out. But it wasn’t until he started being true to himself that he became successful. I want to be remembered for me, not me pretending to be something I’m not.
06. Who have been your musical influences? There are so many. Michael Jackson, Prince, David Bowie, George Michael, Madonna, Culture Club, Elton John, Lady Gaga, P!nk and Sam Smith to name a few.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? I couldn’t answer that if I tried, way too many.
08. What was the first album you ever bought? Shania Twain’s ‘Come On Over’.
09. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. When I was younger I would try to reenact video clips. Shakira’s ‘Whenever, Wherever’, Kylie Minogue’s ‘Can’t Get You Out Of My Head’, and P!nk’s ‘Get The Party Started’ are a few examples.
10. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I’ve never really thought of anything else but music. Probably childcare, as I love kids.
11. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Never expect anything.
12. Tell us about your latest release. This is a song that I am so proud of. Timing couldn’t have been more perfect to release it with the bill being passed through parliament to legalise same-sex marriage. I wrote this as an anthem to empower anyone who struggles to express who they truly are, that it’s okay to be different, that we are all the same, and that we all deserve the right to be free.
13. What do your future plans involve? Definitely more music, potentially a tour, and hopefully get overseas to write as well as perform.
14. Where can our audience catch you live? I haven’t got any live shows lined up as of yet. But definitely around the Wollongong, Sydney area. Keep an eye on my social media.
WEBSITE : www.officialdylanmusic.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/officialdylanmusic
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/officialdylanmusic
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/officialdylan13
SOUNDCLOUD : www.soundcloud.com/officialdylanmusic
YOUTUBE : www.youtube.com/channel/UCz9B4vTCnBzW9kGvlNKfA4Q