We get to know Sumner, a pop duo out of Launceston who are on the verge of releasing their debut EP ‘All That I Am’.
They’ve recently dropped ‘Pictures’, the lead single off said EP, so in celebration we thought we’d scratch beneath the surface to find out a little more about them.
So join us as we get to know Sumner.
01. Band name : Sumner.
02. How did you choose your band name? Sumner is Chloe’s middle name. She used that name when playing solo acoustic gigs, and when Jack & Chloe formed a duo the name just kind of stuck. It never crossed our minds to change it from that point on!
03. Where are you based? Launceston, Tasmania.
04. Who are your members? Chloe Wilson & Jack Mclaine.
05. And what role do they play in the band? When performing live : Chloe – Vocals, Guitar, Keys. Jack – Beats, Additional Vocals, Keys, Bass. When working in the studio, we share beat making and lyrical responsibilities. A good ol’ bit of teamwork.
06. How was the band formed? We met by living in the small town of Launceston, and finding each other’s music through mutual friends. We decided to link up to play a gig as ‘Sumner’ and we haven’t stopped making music since.
07. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Listen to our upcoming EP ‘All That I Am’ (out Feb 16) and you can find out for yourself!
08. If you had to compare yourselves to an already established act sound-wise, who would it be? A hybrid of Flume, Banks, D’Angelo. Anything with a phat baseline, intriguing lyrics, and banger-like tendencies.
09. Give us five words to best describe the band. Tasmanian alternative electronic best friends.
10. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today?
– Jack’s hair is not as big
– We do bikram yoga together
– The production load is now a more equal share, shouts to female Ableton users!
– We eat a lot more zucchini now that we’re adults
– Our musical taste has developed towards Neo-Soul/Hip-Hop
11. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Chloe : Missy Elliott – ‘The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)’, Erykah Badu – ‘Didn’t Cha Know’, Dead Prez – ‘Hip Hop’. Jack : The Van Dykes – ‘No Man Is An Island’, Outkast – ‘Prototype ’, Whitney Houston – ‘How Will I Know ‘.
12. What’s your band’s biggest claim to fame so far? At the Marion Bay Falls Festival, Weird Al Yankovic pulled out of his set. He was supposed to be on at the same time as us, so thanks to him we pulled a massive crowd. Thanks Weird Al x.
13. If you could score the support slot for any act, who would you choose? George Clinton, Erykah Badu, or Lorde.
14. What’s been your strangest experience as a band? Years ago when we performed at a school fair, there was an overly obsessive audience member that seemed convinced that we could be the next Justin Bieber. He followed us around the school to the point of the principal telling him to f**k off. Best bouncer ever.
15. Tell us about your latest release.
The single is called ‘Pictures’, off our upcoming EP. The song was inspired by the feeling of being alone in a packed club full of people. Feeling distant and out of touch with everyone around you laughing, dancing and having a generally happy time.
16. What do your plans for global superstardom involve? We’re not in this for global superstardom, we just want to make as much music as we can!
17. Where can our audience catch you live? Party In The Paddock 2018. Stay tuned for future show dates x.