• Welcome to your midweek edition of The Purge, which we kick off with news that the anticipated new music from Aussie pop duo Bachelor Girl is almost here. The band, Tania Doko and James Roche, celebrates the landmark 20th anniversary of their breakout smash ‘Buses & Trains’ in 2018 and to celebrate, they’ve got new music on the horizon. We’re now another step closer to that new music this week, with the unveiling of this teaser image from its video, uploaded to the band’s Instagram account just yesterday. Watch this space.
• New tunes doing the rounds at local media this week include the new David Guetta/Sia single ‘Flames’, MNEK’s ‘Tongue’, Snow Patrol’s ‘Don’t Give In’ and the aforementioned new Thandi Phoenix/Rudimental collaboration ‘My Way’. We’ll bring you a wrap of all the newbies on our FACEBOOK page tomorrow afternoon.
• You may have noticed overnight that our Countdown To Eurovision 2018 has begun. Each and every day between now and the start of the competition, we’ll be taking a look at one of this year’s entrants, casting our critical ear and deciding whether to give the songs deux points or douze points. The 2018 Eurovision Song Contest kicks off at Altice Arena in Lisbon, Portugal, with the first semi final on Tuesday May 08. Jessica Mauboy, representing Australia, will compete in the second semi final two nights later in the hope of making it through to the Grand Final, to be held on Saturday May 12.
• Up and coming Indonesian rap star Rich Brian has confirmed his first ever Australian live shows, to take place on the East Coast in May. Most famous for his breakout hit ‘Dat $tick’, the 18 year old will play for audiences at 256 Wickham in Brisbane on May 19, 170 Russell in Melbourne on May 22 and the Enmore Theatre in Sydney on May 23. Live Nation members get access to a pre-sale kicking off at midday today, before general public tickets go on sale from midday tomorrow, Thursday March 29.
• Melbourne dynamo G Flip will play her first ever live shows in early May. The gigs (at the Oxford Art Factory Gallery Bar in Sydney on May 10 and at the Workers Club in Melbourne on May 12) come hot on the heels of the release of her debut single ‘About You’ just last month. Tickets are on sale now.
• Baby Animals have delivered a new single called ‘Tonight’, their first new music in five years, and are celebrating by confirming headline shows in Melbourne and Adelaide in the middle of the year. The iconic Aussie outfit are set to play the Corner Hotel in Melbourne on June 22, with a gig at the Governor Hindmarsh in Adelaide the following night. Tickets are on sale now.
• And Jet have added a second Melbourne show to their ‘Get Re-Born’ 15th Anniversary tour. After their first show at the city’s Forum Theatre sold out in less than a week, a second at the same venue has been added – on Tuesday June 12. Tickets are on sale now.
THURSDAY MARCH 29 : Rich Brian (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane)
THURSDAY MARCH 29 : Pale Waves (Sydney, Melbourne)
WEDNESDAY APRIL 04 : Above & Beyond (Sydney, Melbourne)