You need to Get To Know Cxloe. With her pop smash ‘Tough Love’ already under her belt, she now strikes again with ‘Monster’.
Reading her answers to our probing questions below, however, and we suspect that these two tracks may just be the beginning for the Sydney indie-pop starlet.
01. Name : CXLOE.
02. Where are you based? Syd and LA.
03. How did you get your start in music? I’ve been singing my whole life, but it wasn’t really until I started learning how to write my own songs. I worked really hard on my songwriting, and after writing hundreds of songs I started sending them to publishers – and eventually one finally responded! And it all kind of started rolling from there.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Moody. Complex. EMOTIONAL. Weird. Kind.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I’ve been developing my sound for a while. I just threw myself into any and every session I could, and after a while I narrowed down what sounds I liked to work with and what I didn’t.
I went from doing folk, to urban, to dance and then finally found myself in a little niche of dark indie pop. It was so important spending that time exploring different sounds. I’m so happy with where I am now at musically :)
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? I remember in primary school I was chosen to be a soloist to sing at the Opera House with 400 school kids singing behind me in a choir. That really made me believe in myself!
07. Who have been your musical influences? Banks, Lorde, Joni Mitchell.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Somebody Else’ by The 1975 and ‘Every Breath You Take’ by The Police.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? The headland at the end of the street I grew up on.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling : Happy? Sad? Introspective? Exhausted?
When I’m happy I go straight to Mark E Bassy.
When I’m sad I go straight to Sasha Slaone.
When I’m pumped I go to Banks and Kanye.
When I’m exhausted I go to bed!
11. What was the first album you ever bought? ‘SO FRESH’! Obviously! Hahaha!
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. If I wasn’t doing music I’d be a vet! I love animals as much as I love music.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? See above ^ haha!
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Work SMART.
15. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Julia Michaels… genius.
16. Tell us about your latest release. My latest release ‘Monster’ is very special to me. It’s about a time that I found myself saying and doing things I usually wouldn’t. I saw myself as a monster. Its definitely one of my most vulnerable songs but I don’t see the point in writing if it’s not honest!
17. What do your future plans involve? Releasing more music. Evolving. Finding peace in this crazy music industry!
And marrying my best friend. (Nawww… – Ed)
18. Where can our audience catch you live? I’m focusing on writing at the moment but I’m playing some shows very soon!