We get to know Neon Tetra, a band out of Adelaide who’ve just dropped their new single ‘The End Begins Again’.
It’s a deliciously upbeat ’80s-influenced soul/pop number that harks back to the sounds of The Communards, Go West, Level 42.
And it’s lifted from a forthcoming EP.
Wrap your listening gear around the track and get to know the band here.
01. Band name : Neon Tetra.
02. Where are you based? Out of Adelaide, South Australia.
03. How was the band formed? We all picked up the recorder in grade three and never looked back.
04. Give us five words to best describe the band. Groovy, soulful, funked-up, disco, rock.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. Starting out as a psych rock band, we’ve been lending the form of recent records to the influences of Dan our synth player. A former James Morrison scholar, he brought a lot of soul and funk elements to the table over the past year. Putting saxophones down on ‘Reflections’ led to a bias, where we can’t exclude brass from the dynamic any longer.
06. Who have been your musical influences? Marvin Gaye, Vulfpeck, Grizzly Bear, Kevin Parker, LCD Soundsystem, Phoenix, The Strokes, New Order and Arcade Fire.
07. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? ‘When Did You Stop Loving Me’ – Marvin Gaye, ‘Blue Monday’ – New Order, ‘You Only Live Once’ – The Strokes, ‘Lisztomania’ – Phoenix, ‘Feels Like We Only Go Backwards’ – Tame Impala, ‘The Suburbs’ – Arcade Fire, ‘Two Weeks’ – Grizzly Bear.
08. Give us a little fun fact about the band that people might not know. Neon Tetra was named after a pet fish.
09. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Fortune cookie writer.
10. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your careers? Never let a good opportunity pass by and bring others on the ride with you.
11. Tell us about your latest release. We’ve just released a single from our forthcoming EP ‘Pollen’. It’s called ‘The End Begins Again’ and draws inspiration from the golden era of pop music in the late 1970s/80s. Full of warmth and colour, it’s an expression of all the things we love in music.
12. What do your future plans involve? We are touring throughout May and then again in August this year. The band will be writing new music, playing more live shows and making a bunch of new friends along the way.
13. Where can our audience catch you live? To celebrate our latest release, we’ll hit the road for shows in Adelaide, Gold Coast, Brisbane and Melbourne during May. See our socials for more details.
WEBSITE : www.weareneontetra.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/neontetraband
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/weareneontetra
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/weareneontetra
SOUNDCLOUD : www.soundcloud.com/weareneontetra
YOUTUBE : www.youtube.com/channel/UCNuAkiCZ8hn-vcMk9ZzPF-Q