Join us as we get to know Val Flynn, a Brisbane artist who’s just dropped an addictive new single called ‘Stuck On Repeat’.
The track’s all about being stuck in the merry-go-round of the dating game and its musical heart beats right in the heart of the ’90s.
“This single is for all the kids who kick on at 5am and never stop skipping to the beat of their own drum,” Val says of the track.
So, check it out and get to know Val in our latest feature.
01. Name : Val Flynn.
02. Where are you based? Brisbane.
03. How did you get your start in music? I started performing when I was a kid and all throughout school. After high school I continued my study of performing arts at ACPA (Aboriginal Centre for Performing Arts).
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Honest, brashful, emotional, sly & sexy.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I like to write songs that reflect my life, so when we are in the studio laying tracks I really try and reference that type of emotion through the sounds. So basically, what fits to this songs emotion.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? Probably playing my first CD (TLC’s ‘Crazy Sexy Cool’) on repeat in my room until the CD literally scratched and I had to get my mum to get me another copy.
07. Who have been your musical influences? my biggest musical influences are divas like Janet Jackson, Chaka Khan, Taylor Dayne, Mariah Carey, Aaliyah, Rihanna and George Michael.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? Christina Aguilera ftg Alicia Keys – ‘Impossible’, Aaliyah – ‘One In A Million’, Rihanna – ‘Kiss It Better’, Tupac – ‘All About You’, KC & JoJo – ‘All My Life’.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? In my car.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling : Happy? Sad? Introspective? Exhausted?
Happy : Chaka Khan
Sad : Rihanna
Introspective : Tupac
Exhausted : H.E.R.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? TLC’s ‘Crazy Sexy Cool’.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. Im petrified of reptiles! Ew!
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Professional TV watcher at Netflix or something like that lol.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Stay in your lane and do you.
15. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? I love Cardi B and her come up story. It’s epic. Let’s switch now.
16. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Stuck On Repeat’ is a song I penned for all the lonely hearts in the club who are dance floor vixens. It’s basically about one night stands and the struggle of relationships and dating.
17. What do your future plans involve? Taking over the world! My album will be released later this year and hopefully a tour in a city near you soon after that!
18. Where can our audience catch you live? Follow my Insta, Twitter or Facebook.
FACEBOOK : http://www.facebook.com/valflynnmusic
INSTAGRAM : http://www.instagram.com/val__flynn
TWITTER : http://www.twitter.com/valflynnmusic
SOUNDCLOUD : https://www.soundcloud.com/valflynn
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0tjUfhM3avsUz5fHCV91VQ