• Welcome to your Wednesday edition of The Purge and welcome to ‘Everything Is Love’, the surprise new album from Beyoncé and Jay-Z. Released as ‘The Carters’, the surprise new album landed firstly exclusively through Tidal, then via other digital service providers over the weekend. Of course, the appearance of the new Carters album could put a dent in the aspirations of the 5 Seconds Of Summer boys to premiere atop charts across the planet with their new album ‘Youngblood’.
• The Carters’ track ‘Apeshit’ was hurriedly serviced to Australian media yesterday morning to capitalise on the release of the new long player. It’s just one of a swag of new singles doing the rounds at Australian media this week.
• Also out and about battling for radio play are the David Guetta/Showtek single ‘Your Love’, ‘The Voice’ winner Sam Perry’s winner’s single ‘Trust Myself’, The Vamps’ ‘Just My Type’, Sam Smith’s ‘Baby, You Make My Cry’ and the new Bachelor Girl single ‘Speak’. Join us on our FACEBOOK page tomorrow afternoon for a slightly more comprehensive list of the new songs doing the rounds at media this week.
• British outfit The Wombats will pop up in Wollongong late next month for a one-off show while they’re here for Splendour In The Grass. The gig, a collaboration between the organisers of both Splendour and Yours & Owls, will see the band perform at the University Of Wollongong’s Innovation Campus on Wednesday July 25. Elderbrook have been confirmed as special guests for the one-off gig, with “a couple of other friends” due to be announced soon. A Secret Sounds pre-sale goes live from 9am tomorrow, with general public tickets live from 9am this Friday, June 22.
• The Animals will be back in Australia later this year for a greatest hits tour. Most famous for their 1964 breakout hit ‘The House Of The Rising Sun’, the band experienced a slew of chart successes throughout the 1960s. They’ll roll those out for audiences in Wollongong, Canberra, Miranda, Revesby, Sydney, Rozelle, Adelaide, Melbourne, Shoalbay, Sawtell, the Gold Coast and Brisbane during their visit, which kicks off at Centro CBD in Wollongong on Wednesday October 31. Metropolis Touring pre-sales are live from 9am today, with general sales kicking off at 9am local time on Friday.
• Melbourne outfit Kingswood will hit the road for a national tour throughout August and September. With special guests Mane in tow, the boys will play Adelaide Uni Bar on August 17, the Rosemount Hotel in Perth on August 18, The Zoo in Brisbane on August 24, the Northern Hotel in Byron Bay on August 25 and the Oxford Art Factory in Sydney on August 31. They then return home to the Corner Hotel in Melbourne on Saturday September 01. Tickets for all shows are on sale now.
• And true to their word, organisers of the annual Harbourlife festival in Sydney have revealed their all-important 2018 line-up. Taking to the stage at the Fleet Steps at Mrs Macquaries Point on Saturday November 17 will be MK, Green Velvet, Franky Rizardo, Shiba San, Roland Tings, Eli Brown and Dena Amy. A pre-sale via the team at www.fuzzy.com.au is already well under way, with general tickets to hit the sales desk at midday AEST tomorrow.
WEDNESDAY JUNE 20 : 2 Cellos (Nationally)
THURSDAY JUNE 21 : Harbourlife (Sydney)
THURSDAY JUNE 21 : Mark Lanegan (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane)
FRIDAY JUNE 22 : The Animals (Nationally)
FRIDAY JUNE 22 : Panic! At The Disco (Nationally)
FRIDAY JUNE 22 : The Wombats (Wollongong)
MONDAY JUNE 25 : Disco Spectacular (Sydney)