Get to know Chasing Velvet, a fresh new pop duo from South East Queensland who today drop their fresh new single ‘If I May’.
They are Amira and Naomi and their slick new pop number (check it out below) is lifted from their forthcoming EP, due out on August 04.
They’ve also got a free EP launch coming up on the Gold Coast, so read on to find out more.
Say hello to Amira and Naomi and get to know Chasing Velvet right here…;
01. Band name : Chasing Velvet.
02. How did you choose your band name? The process was actually quite random, we set out to create a name that not only sounded cool but hadn’t been done before. We brainstormed fun and creative sounding words, ultimately liking Chasing Velvet and the name was created.
03. Where are you based? We are based in both Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
04. Who are your members? Amira Talbot (19) and Naomi Grashuis (21).
05. And what role do they play in the band? Amira – Vocals/Uke/Keys, Naomi – Vocals/Drums/Guitar.
06. How was the band formed? We met, as a lot of millennials do these days, through mutual friends online. Sharing an obvious common interest in music, we bonded through our passion for creating music and the rest is history!
07. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Our new sound reflects our journey through music as well as life. We are growing and our sound has evolved through experimentation into that of a modern and mature vibe that will hopefully resonate with a wider range of people.
08. If you had to compare yourselves to an already established act sound-wise, who would it be? During the writing process, we took inspiration from a number of popular artists including Dua Lipa, Maroon 5, Clean Bandit and Julia Michaels.
09. Give us five words to best describe the band. Fresh, Fun, Quirky, Modern, Bop.
10. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Forming early 2017, Chasing Velvet began as more of an edgy pop/rock act, we presumed that for a year and honestly had a lot of fun. We realised at the end of last year that we wanted to make the kind of music we enjoyed listening to more most. This began a new era of Chasing Velvet.
11. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time?
Amira : Picking a favourite song is super super hard but if I could name a song that I’ve loved for years and has helped me through a lot of high school, ‘The Grey’ by Icon For Hire. Featuring strong female vocals, she really inspired me that it’s okay to stand out and be different.
Naomi : I honestly have way too many to pick from, especially because I love music throughout the ’50s-’80s era, but I’ll have to go with ‘I Would Die 4 You – Prince’.
12. What’s your band’s biggest claim to fame so far? Performing wise probably opening for We The Kings at the Triffid in Brisbane, the whole experience was such a buzz! But on a personal level, being able to make an EP that we’re really happy with and being able to share it with people that enjoy our music as much as we do.
13. If you could score the support slot for any act, who would you choose? Probably Dua Lipa, she seems like such a cool person as well as a great artist who has a lot of fun onstage, although it would be very intimidating performing right before her.
14 What’s been your strangest experience as a band? The strangest would be performing on extremely high stage above a bull pit at a rodeo at the Gold Coast show! It was a weird set up and a funny experience.
15. Tell us about your latest release. We recently released our first two singles ‘If I May’ and
‘Replay’ from our upcoming EP ‘Replay’ we have been met with a ton of positivity from the fans and they are really excited for the EP coming out on August 04.
16. What do your plans for global superstardom involve? To stay true to ourselves and to create music that will last throughout the times that people will love and remember.
17. Where can our audience catch you live? We are having a release show to celebrate the release of our EP on August 18, held at the Expressive Grounds on the Gold Coast. We are hoping to connect with our locals fans and for a free event we are aiming for a large turnout.
WEBSITE : www.chasingvelvet.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/chasingvelvetofficial
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/ChasingVelvet
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/ChasingVelvet
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/chasingvelvet
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/chasingvelvet