We get to know Aspy Jones, a young singer songwriter out of Queensland who’s just dropped his debut single ‘Hatches’.
According to Aspy himself, he was inspired to write the single when a close friend was at a low ebb.
“We’ve all been there and I think it’s important to let your friends and family know that you’re there for them and to remind them to keep moving forward,” he explains.
But enough from us… let’s here from Aspy himself in our latest Get To Know feature.
01. Name : Aspy Jones.
02. Where are you based? Gympie in regional QLD.
03. How did you get your start in music? I started by teaching myself guitar and then I got involved with a local youth music program and realised that I needed guitar lessons if I wanted to continue.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Adventurous, creative, retro, quirky, genuine.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. It’s still developing. I really struggle to stick to one genre. I get bored and want to try something different.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? Probably getting my first guitar when I was about eight and I hated it because it hurt my fingers, so I didn’t pick it up again until I was about 14.
07. Who have been your musical influences? These are so varied but most of them are from past eras like Johnny Cash, Billy Joel, David Bowie, Freddie Mercury and the Gorillaz were my first influences but the list is much longer now.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? This is such a tough question because my answer changes daily and depends who I’m listening to at the time. At this precise moment it’s ‘Easy Money’ by Billy Joel, ‘King Of Wishful Thinking’ by Go West and ‘Mr Apples’ by Madness. I was definitely born in the wrong era!
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? First thing in the morning in the shower and when I’m driving.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling : Happy? Sad? Introspective? Exhausted? I would really struggle to match artists to emotions but no matter what mood I’m in, I like to imagine that artist actually writing those lyrics while I’m listening to their song.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? I’d love to give you a classic album here but unfortunately it was ‘The Road To El Dorado’ soundtrack by Elton John and Tim Rice.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I’m a comic geek. I collect comics, go to Supernova and Comic-con and I’m that person queuing up at midnight for a superhero movie premiere.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I did want to be a pilot when I was in school but that crashed and burned when I realized I would actually have to study!
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? If you never try then you’ll never know.
15. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Probably Dan Reynolds from Imagine Dragons. I really admire his use of lyrics and his song writing perspective and obviously where he is in his career right now.
16. Tell us about your latest release. I wrote ‘Hatches’ when a friend of mine was going through a really low point in their life. It highlights the struggles of living with depression and how we have to trust people to help us get through the bad times. I wanted it to have an upbeat, positive message and not be sombre.
17. What do your future plans involve? I will be releasing my debut EP later in the year and making some videos to promote my songs. I’m also rehearsing with my band and applying for music festivals and original music gigs.
18. Where can our audience catch you live? My upcoming gigs can be found on my website and Facebook. All social details are below!
WEBSITE : https://www.aspyjones.com/
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/aspyjones/
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/aspyjones/
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/AspyJones
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/aspy-jones
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfEzg-K6zSiet3e364t3zFQ