We get to know Kaiit, a Melbourne-based songstress whose vocals are overflowing with a sweet, sweet soul.
Seriously, check out the smooth beats and that incredible vocal that belies Kaiit’s tender years.
We’re super-impressed – and we think you will be too.
01. Name : Kaiit.
02. Where are you based? I am based in Melbourne.
03. How did you get your start in music? I’ve always loved performing, singing and would do all the school musicals. But I started really singing when I started going to a hip hop mentoring program which is run through Arts Centre Melbourne.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Creative, learning, passionate, experimenting and growing.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I feel like it is constantly developing but it is inspired from my upbringing in music which includes my love for Amy Winehouse, Lauryn Hill, Black Eyed Peas, but not to forget artists I have found myself like SZA and NoName.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? My mama would tell me stories about growing up in Papua New Guinea when she was a teacher at the arts university and we lived right next to the jazz students, so I believe that I was unconsciously listening and taking that music in from that young. But I definitely remember hearing her play Morrissey and Damian Marley always around the house.
07. Who have been your musical influences? Like I said above I get influence from many avenues but definitely gotta include, again SZA, Smino, Black Eyed Peas, Lauryn Hill, NoName, BJ the Chicago Kid and Erykah Badu to name a few.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Runaway’ by Georgia Anne Muldrow, ‘Redondo Beach’ by Morrissey, The Girl Is Mine by Michael Jackson, ‘Amantes’ by Arista and ‘Like Smoke’ by Amy Winehouse and Nas.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? It would have to be between in my room or when Im in the car driving anywhere… Extra fun when you’re with the homies!
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling :
Happy? When I’m happy I’ll listen to some turn up-ish, ‘Wavy’ by SZA.
Sad? When I’m sad I will either listen to things to cheer me up or something to keep me in the mood and to almost feel the emotion out… ‘Put Me Thru’ by Anderson Paak.
Introspective? When I’m examining my own conscious thoughts and feelings it’s usually before I go to sleep I listen to meditative and relaxing instrumentals on YouTube.
Exhausted? When I’m exhausted, I would probably be asleep before even being able to press into Spotify.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? Wowwwwww I even remember saving up and buying it with my own money too! Avril Lavigne’s album ‘Let Go’.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. That I create the majority of my earrings that I wear and most of the materials I use are second-hand items or from op shops.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I attach myself with the word artist rather than a singer. I have a lot of dreams I’m wanting to fulfil, including makeup artistry, styling and creating art and jewellery.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Some of the best advice I feel I’ve had to learn for myself. To trust and be true to myself as an artist and you have to believe in yourself whether you believe it or not!
15. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? I would trade places with SZA. Her life seems so amazing yet full on. I’d love to see what goes into creating her branding, her songwriting process and the amazing people she surrounds herself with.
16. Tell us about your latest release. OMGEE ‘OG Luv Kush p2’ is my baby. It’s a song about knowing your worth and even though you love them you can’t be in the relationship… But you know damn well you still lurking through their Instagram haha.
17. What do your future plans involve? It involves working hard, collaborating with other artists in any sense of that word, putting out my EP and travelling for my music.
18. Where can our audience catch you live? Well once this EP is out I am hoping to be travelling around Australia and NZ, meeting all you beautiful people and connecting with you.