We’re catching up with Melbourne-based singer Mimi for our latest Get To Know feature.
Mimi’s just dropped her debut single ‘Bad Girls Know’, a fresh R&B pop track that’s bang on trend.
But how did Mimi get to this point in her career? Find out in our latest feature.
01. Name : MIMI.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne, Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? Piano lessons aged four! But after that I studied jazz music as vocalist at the Victorian College of the Arts, became a DJ, ran parties, played festivals and here we are releasing my debut track ‘Bad Girls Know’.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. BEST BITCH YOU’VE EVER MET!
05. What’s your earliest musical memory? Dancing on tables with beats my dad would bang on the table for me to perform to with my sister as kids.
06. Who have been your musical influences? Spice Girls, Missy Elliot, Rihanna, Charli XCX, Gwen Stefani, No Doubt, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aretha Franklin.
07. What are your favourite songs of all time? Always one of the hardest questions to answer coz theres sooooo many and it’s all depending on mood. But here’s a bunch: ‘Say You’ll Be There’ – Spice Girls, ‘Cream’ – Prince, ‘Sir Psycho Sexy’ – Red Hot Chili Peppers, ‘Just A Girl’ – No Doubt, ‘Get Naked’ – Britney Spears, ‘Shake Your Ass’ – Mystical, ‘Dazz’ – Brick. But I could really go on and on.
08. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? Driving late night in the car in no traffic.
09. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling :
Happy? If I’m happy I’ll often listen to the same song on repeat especially if it’s a new release – I just wanna consume it til it makes me sick of it. The last one I had on repeat was ‘God Is A Woman’ by Ariana Grande.
Sad? Red Hot Chili Peppers and rock music took me out of a badly depressed state years ago and changed my life forever.
Exhausted? Lana Del Rey.
10. What was the first album you ever bought? Spice Girls’ debut album!
11. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know : I’m VERY good at accents and voice-acting.
12. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? A cast member on ‘Saturday Night Live’ or run my own costume shop and wear a different costume every day.
13. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Recently I realised ‘whose permission are you waiting for?’
14. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Rihanna.
15. Tell us about your latest release. I wrote 90% of the song in about 30 minutes whilst driving in the car. It’s a song about freedom, being empowered and allowing yourself to strive. It’s about an attitude and a state of mind that you can be and do what you need to do to be happy. ‘Bad Girls Know’ how to have a good time.
16. What do your future plans involve? Interactive fourth wall-breaking live performances away from the DJ decks.
17. Where can our audience catch you live? BAD GIRLS KNOW Tour will be announced very soon but you can keep up to date on my socials!
WEBSITE : www.partywithmimi.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/partywithmimi
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/partywithmimi
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/partywithmimi
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/partywithmimimusic
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCfNWzFyIhOsIbGgYWt6ZtA