Sydney duo Egoism are next up in our Get To Know series; the dream pop purveyors have just dropped their latest single ‘Sorry’.
“I wrote this song as a bit of a fuck you to the people who never say sorry for their own mistakes, but then always demand an apology, even if I’m the one who was hurt the most,” explains Scout Eastment from the band.
But he’s got more to add, as his answers below suggest.
So join us in getting to know Egoism.
01. Name : This is Scout Eastment from the band Egoism.
02. Where are you based? The inner west of Sydney.
03. How did you get your start in music? We started by just organising our own gigs because we were underage, our first show was in the shopfront of Egg Records in Newtown with Cosmic Flanders and Mac the Knife.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Dreamy sad pop heavy guitars.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. When Olive and I started playing we didn’t even know what dream pop was, then Olive got a delay effects pedal and I got an overdrive effects pedal and we suddenly had a definite sound.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? Listening to Nirvana’s ‘MTV Unplugged’ album on a booster seat in the back of my mum’s red car.
07. Who have been your musical influences? My Bloody Valentine, Beach House, Radiohead, Slowdive and Tame Impala.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Weird Fishes’/’Arpeggi’ – Radiohead, ‘Blue’ – Joni Mitchell, ‘Wavygravy’ – Flyying Colours. I don’t know I hate picking favourites haha.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? Travelling somewhere at night, so either on the train or riding my bike somewhere with not many other people around.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling:
Happy? Carb on Carb.
Introspective? Nick Drake.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? It was by an artist called Scout Nibblet, I hated it, but I had never met someone else called Scout before so I had to have it!
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I was the kid who blew bubbles behind the promo saying what the next few TV shows were for the Lifestyle channel on Foxtel.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Well I am currently studying social work at uni and I really love it, so probably that.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Never stop playing shows, never stop writing songs.
15. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead has it pretty good. He’s in a world-famous band, he’s worked as a movie/TV show soundtrack composer, he’s worked in the classical music scene, and he still has time to spend a year learning different styles of traditional Indian music.
16. Tell us about your latest release. Lots of songs like ‘Sorry’, a couple that are dreamier and a couple that are sadder.
17. What do your future plans involve? After this EP we want to record an album and tour to more places like Brisbane and hopefully Perth.
18. Where can our audience catch you live? OUR TOUR WITH SKETCH JETS! Here ares some dates:
September 29 : Newcastle (Hamilton Street Hotel)
October 06 : Sydney (Waywards)
October 11 : Wollongong (Rad Bar)
October 12 : Canberra (Transit Bar)
October 13 : Melbourne (Yarra Hotel)
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/egoismband
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/egoismband
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/egoismband/
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/egoismband/
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWE3cWolA6XmpXH0sEhG6IQ