We get to know Katile on the site today.
The New York-based songstress was recently in the country on a whirlwind promotional visit, so we decided to throw some questions in her direction.
And she recently dropped her latest single ‘So Caught Up’, which could be perfect for your upcoming summer playlist!
So without further ado… get to know Katile!
01. Name : Katile (Pronounced Katie Lee).
02. Where are you based? NYC.
03. How did you get your start in music? I’ve been singing my whole life. I went to college for musical theatre. Went on to sing with a ten piece band on cruise ships, and when I got back to land I started writing and recording my own music.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Passionate, Soulful, Strong, Vibrant, Reflective.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I would describe my music as colourful, soulful, electronic-pop with catchy rhythmic melodies. I grew up listening to Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, and I absolutely loved funk music. My sound has evolved over the years from a more singer-songwriter/pop sound, to a more upbeat electric pop sound.
I really love songs that when I put them on, they take me somewhere else. There is something about the electronic sounds in pop music that I just love. And for me, I wanted to really go in that direction with my new music.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? I remember my Grandpa playing his guitar and singing to me when I was really small. Some of my earliest memories when I was around three, I remember dancing around our living room to MJ. I had this toy guitar and mic stand that I would use to perform for my family. Music has always been the biggest joy of my life.
07. Who have been your musical influences? First I’d have to say my Grandpa. He had a band and I grew up watching him perform all the time. I always wanted to be just like him.
I also think Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston have influenced me a lot. The passion which they performed with really inspired me as a kid. And I think that they taught me a lot about being vulnerable when I sing.
I also really loved Alanis Morissette as a young teen, there was something about her super honest lyrics and relatability that made me feel like I wasn’t alone in the world. She had a huge impact on me musically early on. Mariah Carey’s voice always captivated me as well when I was little.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? This is hard because I do love so many. But if I HAVE to choose. And in no particular order because I love them all equally: ‘I Have Nothing’ (Whitney Houston), ‘Dangerous’ (MJ), ‘Hero’ (Mariah Carey), ‘Right Through You’ (Alanis Morissette), ‘The Promise’ (Tracy Chapman), ‘Make You Happy’ (Mika)… I could list so many more, but the list would be too long.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? In my bedroom, all by myself, volume all the way up. OR the shower, because then I can sing along at the top of my lungs.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling:
Happy? Anything new. I usually will go searching for new electronic pop music and create new playlists.
Sad? Tracy Chapman, or Sheryl Crow.
Introspective? Alanis Morissette, MJ.
Exhausted? Tove Lo.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? The first album I ever bought on my own was Alanis Morissette’s ‘Jagged Little Pill’ on cassette tape. It was the best car ride home ever. And the first time I ever cursed in front of my mother.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. This is weird, but I can’t sleep without socks on. It could be 100 degrees, but I still have to wear socks.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I would love to work with animals. Rescuing them, or some kind of animal doctor.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? To be authentically yourself. And to work hard, and do things on your own because nobody is going to hand you anything. And to not give up.
15. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? I don’t know if I would want to trade places with anyone. But I would love to be able to go on tour with my music. So any artist that is selling out arenas and traveling the world performing is an absolute inspiration to me.
16. Tell us about your latest release. My new single ‘So Caught Up’ is an electronic summer vibe song about a particular relationship in my life. I tend to write from my personal experiences. For me, it takes me to a specific place and time, and I hope that anyone listening can relate to it and it will do the same for them.
17. What do your future plans involve? I’m currently working on a new music video, and writing a new single.
18. Where can our audience catch you live? I’m in the process now of booking some Venues in NYC for this coming fall!
WEBSITE : https://www.katileofficial.com/
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/Katileofficial/
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/katielee/
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/Katileofficial
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/katile