We get to know Minorfauna on the site today. They’re a two piece Melbourne outfit who’ve just dropped their debut EP entitled ‘Myself’.
Abbey and Kyle have a great story to tell, new music and a couple of live shows coming up in their home town… talk about striking while the iron’s hot!
Get to know them in our latest feature.
1. Band name? Minorfauna.
2. How did you choose your band name? Abbey : There was an exhibition at the museum on megafauna. I thought it would be a good band name but it turns out that it’s pretty popular. So, I googled minorfauna and discovered it was an informal explanation of the “ugly” or “forgotten” animals, which I liked the idea of.
3. Where are you based? Melbourne.
4. Who are your members? Abbey Hansen and Kyle Setch.
5. And what role do they play in the band? Kyle is the producer and I (Abbey) write melodies, lyrics and sing.
6. How was the band formed? Our now manager Marcel met Kyle through mutual friends and at a festival with him one summer challenged him to produce a track for me (Abbey) influenced by ‘BBHMM’ by Rihanna. Kyle stepped up to the challenge and it wasn’t long before we had our first IRL meeting at Marcel’s home.
It was kinda awkward, super cute but mostly productive and here we are now. 😌 PS. the song ‘Your Girlfriend’ on our Soundcloud is actually the song that originated from said original challenge.
7. Tell us a little bit about your sound. We say we’re pop/R&B but recent reviews have described us as wonky yet ethereal heh.
8. If you had to compare yourselves to an already established act sound wise, who would it be? It’s tough because we’re influenced by so many artists. But Kelela, Lykke Li, and Travis Scott are the big three. We try and take a little bit from each of our influences.
9. Give us five words to best describe the band. Awkward, revenge porn, dramatic, flame emoji. Soz that technically six, but who’s counting?
10. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? When Minorfauna originally formed I was solo and I feel the music was a lot darker. Since Kyle’s arrival he’s brought the light into our band (lol).
11. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Abbey : I’m really sorry but ‘Flame Trees’ by Cold Chisel is way up there.
Kyle : Probably ‘Easy Lover’ by Phil Collins & Phillip Bailey, hands down the tightest riff/groove of all time.
12. What’s your band’s biggest claim to fame so far? Kyle’s twin pairs of Justin Bieber socks lol.
13. If you could score the support slot for any act, who would you choose? Justin Bieber… Nah but srsly besides him, SZA.
14. What’s been your strangest experience as a band? Not strange but lol; dedicating a love song to the bloke that headbutted Tony Abbott and getting overwhelming support from the audience for doing so.
15. Tell us about your latest release. Our latest release is our debut EP ‘Myself’! It was written and recorded back and forth between Melbourne and Queensland. It is an exploration of themes of trust, self-criticism, revenge, and feelings of inadequacy. It’s an intimate project about confusion and identity.
16. What do your plans for global superstardom involve? Slowly outfitting Kyle with more and more Bieber merch again lol… oh and being really kind people who always use their manners.
17. Where can our audience catch you live? We’re supporting Geryon next Thursday, October 04, at the Gasometer Hotel.
We’re also throwing a party to celebrate the release of our EP at Boney on November 02! We’re going to have some sweet guests too including Nyuon and DJ Hommus!