Get to know James Sun; he’s a Sydney singer songwriter and the proud creator of a new single entitled ‘Drunk On You’.
He’s a Lauv lover, but reveals in his answers below that he once asked for advice from one of our country’s brightest talents! Find out who – as well as the answers to all our other pressing questions – in our latest Get To Know feature!
01. Name : James Sun.
02. Where are you based? Sydney, NSW.
03. How did you get your start in music? I first began playing the guitar at the age of 16. After self-learning for a year, I began to start teaching myself to sing and gradually grew from there.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Excited, adventurous, boundless, dynamic and detailed.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I started off writing rock/pop music around 19 years old. From there I slid into pop acoustic for about five years until most recently I dropped everything and went electronic/dance/pop.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? My earliest memory was trying out for the school choir. I remember the teacher Mr Thompson walking past as I was singing and writing a question mark down next to my name. Later on, I discovered that I didn’t make the cut.
07. Who have been your musical influences? My main three of all time would have to be Ed Sheeran, Lauv and Dean Lewis.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Chasing Fire’ by Lauv. Never gets old.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? I was never really a huge listener of music when I was younger, but I’d have to say there is no better feeling then driving on an open road with the window down on a hot day, blasting some songs.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling : Happy? Sad? Introspective? Exhausted? I would have to say Lauv takes the hat on all four of these. He has such a diverse range of music that it makes it easy to listen to him in every moment.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? First album I ever bought was ‘Hybrid’ by Linkin Park.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. My mother went to a fortune teller when she was younger and was told she would have a child that was born with a musical gift.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Well I am an electrician by trade, so I guess I would just continue that.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? A huge moment in my career was a conversation I had with pop sensation Dean Lewis over email. I sent him a new track I had recorded that had an electronic vibe and he asked, “I guess my question is what kind of artist do you want to be? This feels quite dance/pop whereas your previous stuff is more acoustic?”
This question made me sit down and have a hard think about who I wanted to be. Although he mentioned going down the journey of mainstream pop was hard when competing against America, I decided that I feel my voice crossed with electronic production and big drops might just be unique enough.
15. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Lauv, because he’s just so incredibly talented at producing and writing his own material.
16. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Drunk On You” was an initial idea that sparked after a toxic one year “one night stand”. I came up with the melody line and lyrics “all of the times you were drunk over wine, I was drunk on you” when I was in a Uber ride home, after ending the so-called “relationship”. I took the idea into the studio with Liam (@Prodbyquinn) and Holly (@itshollymusic) where I explained the story and we began piecing the whole song together.
17. What do your future plans involve? Releasing more music and rather than stressing over who doesn’t follow and enjoy my music, I want to focus on those who do.
18. Where can our audience catch you live? There are no live shows planned yet but I am currently working on a special way to perform live.