Join us as we get to know Lavrence, a fresh new artist out of Sydney who’s set to ‘Shine’ with his sassy debut single.
He tells us that it’s about “finding that part of you where there’s no shame or fear and putting it out for the world to see – without needing validation.”
One look at the lyric video (within the article below) and you’ll understand that Lavrence needs no validation whatsoever… he’s just a tiny bit fabulous.
So join us in getting to know Lavrence!
01. Name : LAVRENCE.
02. Where are you based? Sydney, Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? After sufficiently annoying everyone in my family with a daily pop performance extravaganza, my parents decided to put me in dance classes. I eventually enrolled into a performing arts high school where I studied music, dance and drama.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. The bold and the beautiful.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I work with Sydney DJ/Producer Bobby Gray. We came up with this heyday indie dance meets 2007 hit album ‘Blackout’ by Britney Spears vibe. It developed quite quickly, I had a nostalgic sound I wanted to explore, and Bobby was the perfect collaborator to achieve that.
We created that world in my lounge room, he’d come over and start throwing something together while I would dance and sing whatever came in to my head.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? Dad tucking us in to bed and singing ‘California Dreamin’ by The Mamas & The Papas. When we got older we’d join in for the call and response vocals.
07. Who have been your musical influences? I’ve always gravitated to powerful female artists who approach pop in their own unique way.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? My all-time favorite song is ‘The Logical Song’ by Supertramp. ‘Cold War’ by Janelle Monae is also a favorite.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? In the kitchen.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling :
Happy? The Gossip, Robyn, Nicki Minaj and various other pop artists.
Sad? The Smiths, Jeff Buckley and Antony and the Johnsons.
Introspective? Frank Ocean.
Exhausted? Lana Del Rey.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? ‘Spice’ by the Spice Girls.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I’m a twin.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? A visual artist of some kind. Trying to bite Baz Luhrmann’s whole career to be honest.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Don’t put anyone on a pedestal.
15. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? I wouldn’t want to switch places with anyone!
16. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Shine’ is a song about claiming your power without the need for external validation. It’s an anti-shame anthem really.
17. What do your future plans involve? More of what I’m doing now! I just want to keep creating art and performing.
18. Where can our audience catch you live? Dates to be announced very soon, keep an eye on my socials! 😊
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/lavrence
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/lavrence
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/lvrnce
SOUNDCLOUD : www.soundcloud.com/lvrnce
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4JkICTxgYU