Get to know Lûmis, a three piece out of Melbourne who’ve just dropped their rather spectacular debut single ‘Drift’.
The song is overflowing with ’80s influences, good grooves and big pop production and it’s already caught the ears of the team at Triple J Unearthed.
Back to Lûmis, however… Find out who their members are, how they got their name and what their biggest claim to fame is on their (admittedly) short journey together as a band.
It’s out latest Get To Know feature and it starts right here;
1. Band name : L Û M I S.
2. How did you choose your band name? No real story to it but it does mean light in latin, it stems from ‘Illuminate’. Ben initially found the name and we were instantly drawn to it.
3. Where are you based? Melbourne.
4. Who are your members? Connor, Brad & Ben.
5. And what role do they play in the band? We’re all the songwriters, producers and engineers. In terms of live performance, we all share the duties and like to mix it up depending on the song.
6. How was the band formed? Brad and Ben have been writing songs for a while together coming off more of an electronic/dance scene. Connor initially came to sing on one of the records. He fit in so well and the vibe between us all was so good we knew his energy in the band would only take us to another level.
7. Tell us a little bit about your sound. We’re all Sci-fi movie geeks at heart and love to incorporate that into our songs. We love the feeling of 80s nostalgia and try to incorporate that in anyway possible. Whether it’s approaching the engineering from a traditional way, or using vintage gear and effects to create our vision.
We generally get ideas from watching movies and write almost our own film scores to famous love scenes and try to blend it into a indie/pop structure. We are all obsessed with beautiful vocals on tracks so it’s unlikely you’d get a record from us without one.
8. If you had to compare yourselves to an already established act sound-wise, who would it be? If Hans Zimmer, Coldplay & CHVRCHES had a love child back in the 80’s and it grew up to be a musician.
9. Give us five words to best describe the band. Cinematic | Sci-Fi | Bold | Powerful | Unique.
10. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Our friendship has grown so much, as well as our understanding of what L Û M I S is and what music we want to create. Together we have grown as musicians.
11. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? That is an impossible question to answer!
12. What’s your band’s biggest claim to fame so far? Triple J Unearthed top ten overall charting on our debut single.
13. If you could score the support slot for any act, who would you choose? Probably Bon Iver, we wouldn’t have to compete with the energy level and they are a fucking amazing band.
14. What’s been your strangest experience as a band? There has been so many, we are a strange bunch.
15. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Drift’ – debut single! Lucky enough to have the talented Imogen Brough on vocals for this one. Had so much fun working on this record.
16. What do your plans for global superstardom involve? We would love to eventually compose scores for films, this is something we all have a passion for.
17. Where can our audience catch you live? We don’t have any live shows lined up yet, but we are rehearsing for the end of 2019.