• Welcome to your midweek edition of The Purge. We’re kicking things off this morning with news that Norwegian pop starlet Sigrid will launch her debut album ‘Sucker Punch’ early in the new year. You may recall the singer bagging the prestigious BBC Sound Of 2018 or her hit single ‘Don’t Kill My Vibe’ or even the altogether spectacular ‘Strangers’. Those two tracks, along with ‘Sucker Punch’ and ‘Dynamite’ will join eight other new recordings on the debut long player, which will land at retailers everywhere on Friday March 01.
• Founding member of the Little River Band, Glenn Shorrock, will tackle the band’s classic hits on a new album titled ‘Glenn Shorrock Sings Little River Band’. The album contains reworks of classic songs that Glenn helped make famous across the planet in the ’70s and ’80s, including ‘Help Is On Its Way’, ‘Home On Monday’, ‘Lonesome Loser’ and ‘Reminiscing’. Look for it at your favourite retail store from Friday March 08.
• Sony Music will re-release three of Prince’s classic albums on CD and, for the first time ever, vinyl early in the new year. 2004’s ‘Musicology’, 2006’s ‘3121’ and 2007’s ‘Planet Earth’ will get the re-release treatment and, naturally, the limited edition vinyl releases will all be purple. Look for them all landing at your favourite retailer on Friday February 08.
• And massive news for Australia’s own Dean Lewis this week, with his single ‘Be Alright’ smashing through more than half a billion streams across the planet. Not only that, but the single has been certified gold in the US, silver in the UK and double platinum in Ireland, Norway and Sweden.
• UK-based soul/pop songstress Mahalia has confirmed a second (and final) show in Melbourne. Due to unprecedented demand for tickets, she’ll now play concurrent nights at the city’s Northcote Social Club (on January 08 and 09). She’s also previously locked down a date at the Lansdowne Hotel in Sydney on January 07. Tickets for the second Melbourne show are on sale now.
• Speaking of show additions, Fat Freddy’s Drop have added a show in Margaret River as part of their upcoming 2019 Australian tour. The band kicks off their local tour commitments with two sold out shows at Melbourne’s Forum Theatre in the middle of March. The new Margaret River gig (at 3 Oceans Winery on April 07) will bring the run to a close. Tickets for the new WA date are on sale from midday local time today.
• And US country music performers Brett Eldredge and Jon Pardi have announced four shows across Australia’s East Coast from late April. They’re in the country to play at the Way Out West Fest in Winton on April 25-28, but they’ll take the opportunity to play shows in Australia’s three largest cities, along with a show in Tamworth while they’re here. Brisbane’s first up (Convention & Exhibition Centre on April 28), followed by Sydney (Enmore Theatre on April 29), Tamworth (TRECC on April 30) and Melbourne (Forum Theatre on May 02). Tickets are on sale at 10am local time this Friday, December 14.
WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 12 : Fat Freddy’s Drop (Margaret River)
WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 12 : Peking Duk (Nationally)
THURSDAY DECEMBER 13 : Kylie Minogue (Sydney)
FRIDAY DECEMBER 14 : Basement Jaxx & The Metropolitan Orchestra (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane)
FRIDAY DECEMBER 14 : Brett Eldredge & Jon Pardi (East Coast)
FRIDAY DECEMBER 14 : Greta Van Fleet (Sydney)
FRIDAY DECEMBER 14 : Up Down Beach Party (Newcastle)