We’re heading to Western Australia this morning to get to know Philip La Rosa, who’s just dropped his new single ‘Fable’.
Released just a couple of weeks ago, the track also features a visually stunning music video, which you can catch below.
Find out what makes Philip tick, as well as how he got his start in music in our latest feature!
01. Name : Philip La Rosa.
02. Where are you based? Fremantle, Western Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? In 2015, I met the Banton Brothers at a performance bootcamp. We worked in groups to write a song together while they mentored us. Those gents gave me the confidence to pick up writing again during that workshop. So I spent a year writing new music and found my way back to them in 2016 to record my first EP!
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Uplifting, Eager, Evolving, Authentic & New!
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I feel like I’m still in the early days of my career and my sound will continue to evolve, but I believe my sound reflects a current stage in my life, as do my lyrics. Sometimes I go through massive phases of listening to a particular sound for months and it influences my writing.
On a casual Instagram scroll, I heard the beats Taka Perry was creating and I instantly dug it, it felt like me. I knew he was the right fit to help shape my sound and create my upcoming EP.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? When I was 10, I would sing around the house when music video shows use to air on Saturday mornings. I remember watching ‘Rage’ super early in the morning and hearing Wyclef Jean’s song ‘Two Wrongs’ for the first time, and then it came on again later that day while watching ‘Video Hits’.
Mum walked past and asked how I already knew the lyrics to the song. Weird memory, I know. But it’s stuck with me for so many years. It was later that day mum asked, “Why don’t you do singing lessons if you enjoy it so much?”
07. Who have been your musical influences? So many! But I’d say my top three are Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake & Alecia Moore.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? There is no way I could pick just one song. Can I get back to you one this? Haha.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? My bed. I crank my speakers and just lay there and absorb every detail. It’s my second happy place, after being in studio.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling :
Sad? You+Me (One off album by Dallas Green and Alecia Moore).
Introspective? Lana Del Ray.
Exhausted? The Rubens.
11. What was the first album you ever bought?
‘Justified’ by Justin Timberlake. Still one of my favorite albums.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. In my younger days, I once worn tight gold pants on stage… I’m waiting for a photo to surface haha!
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Website and graphic designer… 😏.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? “If you love it, that’s all that matters”.
15. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Beyoncé. Everyone wants to be Beyoncé, right?
16. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Fable’! A completely unplanned track that came together in less than six hours. Taka Perry and I had a spare day in the studio and decided to smash out another track for the EP together, within two hours I watched Taka create this magical beat from scratch.
As a starting point, we worked on the lyrics by pulling old notes from my phone, some of which dated back to 2008. We pieced together the main lyrics then filled in the rest. The final two hours in the studio was laying down all the vocals and Taka bringing it all together.
It’s now one of my favourite tracks on the upcoming EP and I love the fact that it includes lyrics I’ve written from multiple time periods in my life.
17. What do your future plans involve? 2019 is going to be a big year! I have a brand new EP waiting to be released, two more music videos and some live shows! I’m planning one year at a time. Lets touch base again soon for 2020! 😉
18. Where can our audience catch you live?
We haven’t locked in the date or location yet, but it’ll be in the second half of the year!
WEBSITE : https://philiplarosa.com/
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/philiplarosamusic/
INSTAGRAM : http://instagram.com/philiplarosamusic
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/philiplarosamusic
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/user/PhilLaRosaAU