Get to know Seattic from Melbourne.
The up and coming performer will release his debut album ‘Retrospeculation’ later this month and we’ve decided to ask him a few little questions in the hope of getting to know him a little more before it drops.
Go behind the artist with our latest Get To Know feature!
01. Name : Seattic.
02. Where are you based? Collingwood in Melbourne.
03. How did you get your start in music? Learnt to play the guitar when I was younger and joined a rock band called Tourism as the lead guitarist. Unfortunately, we went our separate ways a few years back, and now here I am, making solo 80’s synth pop haha.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Jon Snow playing the guitar.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. The good cheesy parts of the ’80s striving to sound like something new. That was where it started and then it just turned into a melting pot of synth-pop, R&B and indie rock.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? I was in the car with my Dad, would’ve been four, and we were listening to Michael Jackson on a tape in a really shit car. My Dad was drumming on the steering wheel and I was singing, both very poorly. He only had six tapes, so it was like Michael Jackson, Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, repeat haha.
07. Who have been your musical influences? Phil Collins, Michael Jackson, Paul Simon, Mark Ronson, Tame Impala and Phoenix!
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Sussudio’ – Phil Collins, ‘Someone Great’ – LCD Soundsystem, ‘Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough’ – Michael Jackson.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? Alone, good headphones, anywhere with a good view, ideally not sober.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling: Happy? Sad? Introspective? Exhausted? Hmm – I don’t think I play specific artists when I’m in a certain mood! It’s more what I’m doing. I mean if I want to really listen to music, it’ll be the Tame Impalas, the Paul Simons, the Phil Collins, but if I’m in a social setting I much prefer techno or deep house like Andhim for sure.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? I can’t exactly remember but I think it was a single by Twister! Haha.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. Haha when I was young I was gifted with the skill of flipping, so I did trampolining for years and years of my life, competing and all.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? If being a musician wasn’t an option? Hmm, I actually do a lot in the tech and creative startup world, which bites up a lot of my time on top of being a musician so probably something still in that space.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? “It’s all about the song”. That you can market the track really well, and that’s super important, but it’s all the chase of trying to write a great song first, and I’m forever chasing it haha.
15. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? I would love to be Harts for a day! Just because he’s 100 times better than me at guitar haha I just wanna shred guitar like Harts, for one day.
16. Tell us about your latest release. My latest release is called ‘Attraction’. It’s definitely the most ’80s inspired and potentially the cheesiest song on the record. Started with a drum beat I loved in a Phil Collins song and built off of that. The story is a bittersweet tale of being into someone that you’re not supposed to be into, because they’re taken.
17. What do your future plans involve? My near future plans involve dropping my next single ‘Over You’ alongside my debut album ‘Retrospeculation’ February 22. Then it’s straight back into writing and recording for my next release!
18. Where can our audience catch you live? You can catch me at my debut album launch at the Grace Darling Hotel in Collingwood, March 23. Details are up on my Facebook.
WEBSITE : www.seattic.co
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/seatticmusic
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/seatticmusic
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/user-365653062
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl9CCXhpW6Hp8MDOUN1PMwQ