We’re heading to the Sunshine State to get to know The Beamish Brothers. Yes, they’re brothers. Yes, they’re musicians. And yes, they’ve got a cool new single called ‘Kills Me Every Time’.
Not only that, but they’re launching it with a live show in Fortitude Valley tomorrow night!
All the details, plus answers to our scintillating questions, below.
1. Band name : The Beamish Brothers.
2. How did you choose your band name? We started off being called The Beamish Boys, as that was what our mum called us for a while and the name kind of stuck. After releasing a tonne of music under that alias and experimenting with our sound, we decided it was time for a subtle but important change.
We decided this year to change to The Beamish Brothers to let people know that our music has matured, and we’re very happy to have found our style. From a practical standpoint, we also just kept getting mistaken for being friends (not many people realised that we were related!)
3. Where are you based? We’re based in Brisbane and Toowoomba.
4. Who are your members? Jeremy Beamish and Ben Beamish.
5. And what role do they play in the band? Jeremy Beamish (singer and percussionist) and Ben Beamish (classically trained guitarist and singer).
6. How was the band formed? Just from jamming together around the house and playing at Christmas parties and that sort of thing. We’ve always been performing from a young age so it was only a matter of time before we teamed up!
7. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Our new sound has kept its acoustic roots but is also quite soulful. We always like to keep vocal harmonies as a strong focus as well as incorporate guitar, all mixed in with indie-pop production.
8. If you had to compare yourselves to an already established act sound-wise, who would it be? There are definitely elements of Dean Lewis’ older stuff in our music as well Dylan Joel, JP Saxe and Daniel Caesar.
9. Give us five words to best describe the band. Harmonies, soulful, passionate, honest and driven.
10. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? I think we’ve just matured and are a lot more invested in telling stories with our music. We’re a lot more confident in our sound and musical style. We’re a lot more selective with the songs we release now. Our live show has also really improved a lot, which is exciting.
11. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Ben : ‘Freedom’ by George Michael and ‘Comfortably Numb’ by Pink Floyd.
Jeremy : ‘Wicked Game’ by Chris Isaak and ‘Superstition’ by Stevie Wonder.
12. What’s your band’s biggest claim to fame so far? Our former project The Beamish Boys has over six million streams on Spotify. We’ve also signed songs with imprint labels of giants like Sony, Warner, Universal Music Group.
13. If you could score the support slot for any act, who would you choose? It’s a hard question but we’re very proud of how well Dean Lewis is doing and to have watched his journey. If we were ever able to support him live, that would be awesome.
14. What’s been your strangest experience as a band? There have been many but probably a very strange one was performing at a community launch, during which a very controversial Australian politician (who we won’t name) walked past and gave us a cheesy double thumbs-up. It was a weird time.
15. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Kills Me Every Time’ tells the story about how something that feels good on a surface level can be embedded with toxicity and how certain relationships can be both exciting but unhealthy.
It’s been an ongoing project of ours for a long time now. We wrote the song and then teamed up with German producer Sam Büchele who works under the alias Mulle and we’re so happy to present it to the world now!
16. What do your plans for global superstardom involve? It’s a cliche but honestly just writing what we believe to be great music is our biggest focus. If we can write music that really moves people then that’s the dream.
17. Where can our audience catch you live? We doing a single launch party on the April 06 at Bloodhound Bar in Fortitude Valley, where we’ll be performing the song for the first time ever to a live audience.
WEBSITE : https://thebeamishbrothers.bandzoogle.com/
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/thebeamishbrothers/
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/thebeamishbrothers/
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/beamishbrothers
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMrBeamo