We get to know Chris Rose on the site this morning.
The young up and comer out of Port Macquarie has just dished up a tasty new single called ‘Someone Like You’. And not only the single, but also its accompanying music video.
But who is he? How did he get to this point in his career? And where can you catch him live?
You’ll find the answers to all of those questions and more in our latest Get To Know feature.
01. Name : Chris Rose.
02. Where are you based? I’m currently based in Port Macquarie, NSW.
03. How did you get your start in music? I always knew I was a singer. I started playing in a few high school bands and performing solo at my high school variety concerts, which were super fun! From there I started playing local gigs around my hometown.
When I was 17, I was invited to join the Talent Development Project at the Sydney Entertainment Centre and that’s basically where things really kicked off for me.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Aussie, melodic, unique, poetic, hooky.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. My sound is basically a singer-songwriter/pop vibe with a little electro thrown in. I love filling my songs with as many catchy hooks and parts as possible and I’m super fussy about my lyrics and production. I won’t let anything go out until it’s as good as it can be!
I spent a lot of my earlier years collaborating and co-writing in home studios all over Sydney testing out my sound and on heaps of different songs. It probably wasn’t until about a year ago when I started working with Stuart Stuart in Brisbane when I really started developing my actual sound. I also started writing songs by myself and not co-writing as much. From here I think I’ve created my best stuff so far.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? I’ve got a tiny flashback to singing along to the radio in the back of the car when I was a baby driving over the Harbour Bridge haha. Apart from that I think singing at my year six Christmas pageant was my first proper performance. I also got a taste for the audience reaction and from there I was hooked. 😀
07. Who have been your musical influences? Lately I would say bands like Sheppard (who I toured with last year), Dean Lewis, Imagine Dragons, lots of cool stuff I hear on Triple J & commercial radio gives me ideas and inspiration.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? Hmmm, this is a tough one… I never get sick of INXS’ ‘Never Tear Us Apart’ and songs from Aussie / Kiwi bands like The Waifs and Crowded House.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? In the car for sure. I’ll find myself driving around in circles in the middle of the night in Port Macquarie just listening to my latest mixes over and over again. Nothing better then recording your own music and hearing it come to life!
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling :
Happy : Sheppard.
Sad : Dean Lewis.
Introspective : Ziggy Alberts.
Exhausted : Bit of comfort music.. maybe Crowded House or INXS.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? I can’t really remember tbh haha. I think the first was probably a mix of the Grammy artists from like 2009 or something..
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. Fun fact: I work part time at Port High School during the week running the breakfast club there, as well as doing some youth work and music stuff with students. 😀
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Hmmmm I reckon I’d do some youth working stuff involving music which I do on the side, or maybe attempt to be a radio host or TV host.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? I think don’t take to much notice of where other artists are in their career. Just think about your own journey and taking those steps. Comparing yourself to super successful artists is bound to get you down at my early level.
15. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? I’d say probably Dean Lewis. He’s just blowing up and is an amazing artist… Loving his music!
16. Tell us about your latest release. My latest song ‘Someone Like You’ is a tune I had floating around as a verse and pre chorus for quite a while. I knew it was super catchy, I just couldn’t quite nail a chorus to match the verses.
I went to the studio in January with a few ideas for what it could be, and on the first morning my producer pushed me to choose a cool idea I had as an option for the chorus melody. From there I really perfected the lyrics and we smashed out the recording!
It’s a super uplifting pop song about finding the one. A simple concept, but I think the lyrics are pretty poetic, especially the way each line rhymes throughout.
I’ve also shot an epic music video to go with it with my good mates Ben, Daniel and Jamie from CORE Productions. We shot it over two days around the Great Ocean Road in Victoria and I’m super stoked with how it’s come up. 😀
17. What do your future plans involve? I plan to keep on perfecting my live performance and playing plenty of shows as usual. I plan to not so much focus on playing live though. I’m discovering how amazing the internet is for discovering artists at the moment.
I plan on focusing on building my online fan base through YouTube as a first priority. I’m really only getting started now! But I’m super excited to start focusing on weekly videos. 😀 I also have more studio time booked in July, and plan on releasing more music and music videos in August!
18. Where can our audience catch you live? I’m doing a run of a few regional gigs around my area coming up. You can catch me at:
May 17 : Coffs Harbour (The Hoey Moey)
May 18 : Woolgoolga (Seaview Tavern)
May 25 : Crescent Head (Crescent Head Club)
May 31 : Port Macquarie (Finnians)
June 15 : Grafton (Village Green Hotel)
June 22 : South West Rocks (Rockin The Rocks Festival)
If you’re not in these areas keep an eye out on my YouTube channel for live gig uploads and regular videos.
WEBSITE : www.chrisrosemusician.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/chrisrosemusician
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/chrisrosemusician
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/ChrisRoseSinger
YOUTUBE : www.youtube.com/chrisrosemusician