Get to know The Flowers, a fresh new outfit out of Sydney’s western suburbs who’ve just dropped their catchy debut single.
‘Truly Madly Sleepy’ is an addictive indie-pop number that’s got under our skin big time.
So we deemed it essential that we get to know the band behind it. Let’s go!
1. Band name : The Flowers.
2. How did you choose your band name? We wanted a “The ____” kind of name, can’t quite remember why. We were sitting on the floor in Dylan’s living room, listing off names based off what we could see lying around the house. “The Coat hangers”, “The Tables”, “The Bookshelves”… you get the drill. It was only a matter of time before “The Flowers” joined that long list of contenders, and once it was on the list it was just too good to resist.
3. Where are you based? Sydney’s Inner West and Northern Beaches.
4. Who are your members? Agnes O’Dwyer, Dylan Clark and Leighton Cauchi.
5. And what role do they play in the band? Agnes is on vocals, Dylan is on guitar and Leighton plays the drums.
6. How was the band formed? Leighton and Dylan were in a couple of bands prior to our formation. Mid 2018, they stumbled upon Agnes via Triple J Unearthed and the rest is history.
7. Tell us a little bit about your sound. We’d like to think we skirt along the indie-pop line, inspired by a mix of ’90s artists like The Cranberries, Jeff Buckley, The Smiths and The Sundays. We love lyrics that tell a weird storyline, but also can’t resist a pop hook.
8. If you had to compare yourselves to an already established act sound-wise, who would it be? Our goal is to be living in the same world as our Aussie heroes; Middle Kids, Jungle Giants, Hatchie and the list goes on.
9. Give us five words to best describe the band. Happy, Sad, Dream, Nostalgic, Fun.
10. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Well to start, Leighton did the big move from living an hour out west all to way to Sydney’s CBD, which was huge. The band as a whole has become even more music obsessed, constantly churning out new song ideas and inspirations.
We’ve definitely come to learn each other’s strengths really well so that we can all bring the best parts of ourselves to the songs. Dylan recently bought a 12 string vox phantom as well which has really become a recurring sound to the band.
11. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Agnes : ‘Grace’ by Jeff Buckley. Leighton : ‘Last Goodbye’ by Jeff Buckley. Dylan : ‘The Rain Song’ by Led Zeppelin.
12. What’s your band’s biggest claim to fame so far? Our biggest claim to fame is that we are doing a Q&A for auspOp! Also, the amazing reviews by Au Review and LiveWire have us beaming.
13. If you could score the support slot for any act, who would you choose? Lana Del Ray
14. What’s been your strangest experience as a band? We haven’t had that many “strange” experiences YET, however we can tell a story of our most stressful experience. The night before our debut release we had a trillion things we needed to do that we had left to the last minute. It also didn’t help that Agnes’ uni graduation ceremony happened to fall on the night before the release too.
Cut to Agnes sitting outside the graduation hall in her cap and gown frantically on her computer whilst Leighton was emailing on his way back from work and Dylan is almost throwing his typewriter against the wall to try get the ink ribbon in place so he can type out the lyrics whilst babysitting his cousin and cooking them a meal.
Safe to say we’re glad that part is over and we’ve definitely learnt to be three steps ahead for next time.
15. Tell us about your latest release. Our debut single, ‘Truly Madly Sleepy’, was released last Thursday. The song was recorded late last year and was a couple of years in the making. The chords came first, then the melody. For a while there we were singing the tune to a nameless, faceless song, waiting for just the right story to come along to fit as the final piece of the puzzle.
Finally, we got to digging up stories from our travels the year prior and put together a lyrical line that mixed fact and fiction in a way that placed us in the half real, half dazed world of ‘Truly Madly Sleepy’.
16. What do your plans for global superstardom involve? A lot of jams at Dylan’s place.
17. Where can our audience catch you live? We are looking to play our first Sydney show in the coming weeks, so keep an ear and eye out!