Get to know Bianca, a fresh new artist out of Sydney who’s just dropped her debut single ‘Make Believe’ (and its music video)!
But who is she? How did she get to this point in her career? How did she get her start in music? What are her favourite songs of all time? Who’s inspired her?
Find out all you need to know about Bianca in our latest feature!
01. Name : Bianca.
02. Where are you based? Sydney, Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? I started piano lessons when I was four, moved into singing when I was nine as part of a dance school’s show group and that evolved into songwriting when I was 12.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Driven, versatile, expressive, energetic, control-freak. :D
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I’ve been writing and releasing pop and dance music for a long time but for my latest EP it took a while to work out the direction.
I had a few tracks that I’d written on piano, but after listening to the ‘Stranger Things’ and ‘Drive’ soundtracks I was really inspired. I’ve always been a fan of powerful ’80s synths/arps and after discovering artists like Kavinsky, Gesaffelstein and Justice, I knew I wanted that synthwave vibe in my pop songs.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? From when I was super young I remember my dad always waking us up on the weekends with The Beatles, Crowded House, Michael Jackson, Elton John etc. blaring through the house. He used to get us to look at the lyrics to understand what the songs were about which gave me a huge appreciation for songwriters. I think that’s really helped me with my writing today.
07. Who have been your musical influences? Vocally I’d say that Rihanna, Amy Winehouse, Anne-Marie, Dua Lipa have helped to influence my singing style. For my most recent music I’ve been hugely inspired by Grimes, Melanie Martinez, Kavinsky, Gesaffelstein and Justice.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Yesterday’ – The Beatles (but let’s be real most of their music would be on this list), ‘Back To Black’ – Amy Winehouse (again, most of her music). Basically all of the ’80s epic/extra/OTT songs like ‘Maniac’, ‘The Final Countdown’, ‘Broken Wings’ and the list goes on….
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? Definitely in the car. Mainly because it’s the only time when I’m not at home trying to make music, so I can chill and appreciate other music without getting mad at myself for not getting more work done haha.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling : Happy? Sad? Introspective? Exhausted? I love listening to Years And Years at any and all times. Olly’s voice is so amazing and their songs just make me feel so chill and happy.
Also love to listen to early 2000’s emo bands like The Used, My Chemical Romance and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus to reminisce on my high school days. I also love musical theatre when I want to get all extra and emotional.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? I’m pretty sure it was Hanson and what an amazing album that was!
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. When I was around 14 I used to be the giant daisy costume character in a children’s show called ‘Daisy & The Flowerpot Gang’. We’d do shows at shopping centres and events and it was hilarious.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Well a future dream of mine is to run an animal paradise where I can save as many furbabies as I can and let them live out their lives in happiness and bliss. So I guess I’d do that if I couldn’t do music haha.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Spread your work out into a few different avenues so you don’t rely on one thing. For example I used to only ever write for myself but over the past five years I’ve done so much work writing for myself as well as other artists, toplining for producers, working on my YouTube channel doing covers and creating other content.
It’s helped me so much with stress/anxiety/depression being able to focus my energy on different projects and has also helped with my creativity.
15. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? I think I would trade places with Ariana Grande because she’s totally killing it at the moment and ‘7 Rings’ tells me I’d be able to pretty comfortably fund my animal paradise.
16. Tell us about your latest release. I wrote this track as an intro for my upcoming EP ‘Make Believe’. I’d been watching ’13 Reasons Why’ at the time and it brought back so many memories from school of how weird/lonely/nasty it can sometimes be.
In my experience, school was a little strange. I didn’t feel like I could relate to too many people and I wasn’t happy within myself. When I was at home I’d daydream about who I could be when I got older, what I’d be doing and I used music as my escape from it all.
17. What do your future plans involve? In the immediate future it will be releasing the rest of the songs from the EP (the next one will be dropping in a couple of weeks) and then hopefully being able to tour off that. Then obviously building a world-wide fanbase that will help with my animal paradise dreams :D.
18. Where can our audience catch you live? Working on live shows at the moment, but I do a bunch of live streams on YouTube and Beat Fever, so people from anywhere in the world can watch me sing and chat online :).
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/supimbianca/
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/supimbianca/
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/supimbianca/
SPOTIFY : https://open.spotify.com/artist/43BmOTbp0fKzSvC4YxykMl?si=V6_e5hyiQLqDJoVsnwvYqg
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/supimbianca/