Get to know Ministry Of Mars, two brothers from Brisbane who’ve just dropped their latest single ‘Day ‘N’ Night’.
Alistair and Jon have roped in the extra services of hip hop artist Jad Lagoon for their new track, which dropped on Friday.
In our latest feature, we go beyond the new track, scratching the surface to get to know the boys a little better and find out how they got to here.
01. Band name : Ministry Of Mars.
02. How did you choose your band name? We wanted our name to somewhat reflect that we are brothers. With our last name being Marsden we basically took the first part of it ‘Mars’ and tried it with a few things ‘to Mars’, ‘from Mars’, ‘of Mars’, and a bunch of random words before those until we came across Ministry and it just rolled off the tongue and it stuck.
03. Where are you based? Currently Brisbane but we go back and forth from here and the UK.
04. Who are your members? Just us two, Alistair and Jon Marsden.
05. And what role do they play in the band? We both handle everything from songwriting to producing/recording. But mainly Jon is the one to record and play live instruments while Alistair focuses on the production and using any virtual instruments in the tracks where we get a nice blend between synthetic and real instrumentation.
06. How was the band formed? Alistair met Jon back in 1999. Both did different musically creative things growing up. Wasn’t until midway through 2018 where we took songwriting together more seriously. We released our debut single ‘Breaking Me’ in November and have just kept going from that.
07. Tell us a little bit about your sound. There’s a lot of guitars, synthesizers, keys in our tracks with a lot of ’80s sorta sounds. We like to focus our productions between 20Hz-20,000kHz, that way we get the full spectrum of sound…
08. If you had to compare yourselves to an already established act sound-wise, who would it be? Probably The 1975, who are a huge inspiration for us.
09. Give us five words to best describe the band. Nostalgically, funky, freshness, two, brothers.
10. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? We’ve gotten older and Alistair has changed his hair colour more times than we have songs released.
11. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Alistair : ‘Let’s Dance’ by Five. Jon : ‘S.O.S’ by The Jonas Brothers.
12. What’s your band’s biggest claim to fame so far? Probably writing our second single ‘Recognise’ at Abbey Road Studios in London and having our music played on BBC Radio over there.
13. If you could score the support slot for any act, who would you choose? The 1975, Matty hit us up, love you.
14. What’s been your strangest experience as a band? We haven’t had that many strange experiences yet. Maybe ordering and eating Nandos in Abbey Road Studios. That was strange and surreal at the same time. Don’t think many people can say they have done that…
15. Tell us about your latest release. Our new single is called ‘Day ‘N’ Night’ and it features alternate hip-hop artist Jad Lagoon. It’s a mid-tempo pop track with a funky bassline that drives through the song.
The meaning of the song depicts the aftermath of a night out with a loved one, but ultimately whether it’s day or night you should live in the moment, take your time and be with that someone.
The track has Jon singing the verses and choruses with ‘Day ‘N’ Night’ being the main hook, but we got Jad involved to deliver a killer bridge/chorus rap that just adds another dimension to the song that we think people are really going to enjoy.
16. What do your plans for global superstardom involve? Stealing the Krabby Patty formula.
17. Where can our audience catch you live? We are currently working on debuting our live show for later this year which will probably be in Brisbane. We’ll probably be doing a few DJ sets here and there as well, so if you’re following our social media, you’ll be the first to know about that.
WEBSITE : www.ministryofmars.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/ministryofmars
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/ministryofmars
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/ministryofmars_
SOUNDCLOUD : www.soundcloud.com/ministryofmars
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCadJBdN2wZ_PwvV1XArFNZw?view_as=subscriber